Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i know everyones probably just gonna say its time for a 5 speed swap...which well, is in the plans...i ust dont think i have the cash to do that just yet. Anyhow, onto the problem. When i bought this car a couple months back, the auto tranny that came with it worked just fine. Then suddenly out of nowhere, my D4 light starts blinking, and it wont shift into 1st or 3rd anymore. While in D4 it will only stay in 4th gear, so i had to start from 2nd and manually shift up to D3 (which didnt actually shift it to 3rd, it went straight to 4th) and i was ok with this, as long as it lasted untill i had the money to swap a manual in. But today while driving it started acting weirder than normal, i shifted up to D4 at around 30 MPH to see if it would fix anything and the car shifted itself down to 2nd gear. So i put it back in D3 and it shifted back up to 3rd. I get to my buddies house pull the e-brake and put it in park and shut ehr off, then when i get back in to leave and start it, it lurched forward hard like it was in gear..luckily i had my foot on the brake and the e-brake on. So i put it in reverse and went to back up, it instead decided to pull forward...turns out i no longer have a park, neutral or reverse, they're all 2nd gear now.

Can anyone give me some idea as to what is going on here or what i can possibly do to fix it? I tried putting in inbetween the different gears to see if i could find neutral or something, but its nowhere.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ugh i replaced the shift control solenoid, which is what was causing my d4 to blink, same with my countershaft speed sensor. the countershaft speed sensor is still throwing codes, but the shift control solenoid isnt. But....still no change in the drive....park neutral and reverse are all still 2nd, or 3rd gear...depending on how its feeling at that particular time.... and when driving in D4 if it shifts into 3rd it will shift back to 2nd soon after, no matter what speed im going (i REALLY dont wana end up toasting my motor cuz of this) can anyone give me ANY ideas on what to do now? I dont have the $700+ it'll cost to do a manual swap...

PLEASE help

·
I Miss My BB2 :'(
3,589 Posts
damn man that sucks. sounds like its time for a new tranny.

if you look in the right spots you can do an auto to manual for WELL under $700. the tranny is just the expensive thing. search ebay and the for sale section of this site and try to find a tranny and the rest of the stuff to do the swap. ill keep my eyes open for stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts