Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to jstu try compressing the autotensioner whiel doign a timing belt without haveing to remove it? becuase alldata tells me i need a special stopper to keep it compressed when i remove it. and i kno converting it to the manual tensioner is a better idea but i dont have the money for it right now.

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
If you're changeing your timing belt, it would be best to buy a new auto tenisoner....5th Gen. auto teninsoners are known to go out on some people. If you don't wanna risk having to buy a new motor, it's best to buy a new one, or just swap to a manual tenisoner and you won't have to worry about it going out at all

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
changing the autotensioner out for a manual is always a good idea. they are very unreliable. i replaced mine at 64k. unfortunately i replaced it with another autotensioner because i couldnt find a shop that knew how to do it. i recently found someone with some h22 experience who will be building my head and converting to manual tensioner.
i wouldnt mind knowing how to loosen the autotensioner though to intsall some cam gears anyone know ??

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I second that as we had a 01 @ the shop last year the auto tensioner went bent half the valves and costed $1,500 in damages it only had 60k on it! so replace the tensioner or convert to manual or you will be replaceing the motor or at lest a valve job.

·
Registered
793 Posts
stereo said:
I second that as we had a 01 @ the shop last year the auto tensioner went bent half the valves and costed $1,500 in damages it only had 60k on it! so replace the tensioner or convert to manual or you will be replaceing the motor or at lest a valve job.
dang 1500, he could have had a full skunk2 valve train lol

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
i'd replace it since your in there.....but for some reason you don't...i heard a zip tie will hold it back and when your ready just cut it loose

·
Registered
129 Posts
Question for those who actually had a bad auto tensioner. What does it sound like becuase im VERY sure that mine is going bad. Does it sound like a clunk to you? (I know i dont have a rod knock becuase i havent seen metal shards in my oil and the knock doesnt get louder as it drive faster/or just drive) When i first start up the car i dont hear the sound but after 2-3 mins of drivng or whenever the oil starts to warm up, the sound starts. Happens when i dont gas and let the car roll. Or when i rev to about 2k rpm and let it drop makes the sound.. Sound like a auto tensioner? Sometimes when i set in traffic the sound is hard for like 1/2 sec. This sound is drivng me nuts!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
More like a massive ticking coming from the engine compartment, and when you take off your valve cover, the belt is loose. REALLY loose.

Mine went on my 95; didn't cause any damage because I'm not an idiot and fixed it right away. Shop that did the timing belt replacement had to do everything all over again because I told them to replace the tensioner, but they didn't.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Is it true that you have to pull the motor to replace the autotensioner? For the less mechanically inclined people, who much would it cost to replace at the Honda dealership? Mine has been making that ticking sound in the low rms for a while now.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't drive it first off. Even getting a taxi is cheaper than destroying your engine.

I don't think you have to pull the engine, but I don't know, because I didn't replace it. The place just made me pay for the part and they did the labor (like they were supposed to).

To have the timing belt replaced here at Keeler Honda, it was like $700. I got it done for about $500. Although I still like the "$500" place, I'm probably only going there for simple stuff. And I've grown to do a lot of those kind of things myself anyways.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
you don't have to pull the motor out ,but you do have to pull the timing belt off so it's wise to replace the belt since your already in there .

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
its easier if the motors out of the car....:Rock:
but all you have to do is take the motor mount loose and tilt the motor so you can get to the crank bolt

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
asdfsad said:
Question for those who actually had a bad auto tensioner. What does it sound like becuase im VERY sure that mine is going bad. Does it sound like a clunk to you? (I know i dont have a rod knock becuase i havent seen metal shards in my oil and the knock doesnt get louder as it drive faster/or just drive) When i first start up the car i dont hear the sound but after 2-3 mins of drivng or whenever the oil starts to warm up, the sound starts. Happens when i dont gas and let the car roll. Or when i rev to about 2k rpm and let it drop makes the sound.. Sound like a auto tensioner? Sometimes when i set in traffic the sound is hard for like 1/2 sec. This sound is drivng me nuts!
it sounds a bit like a groaning grumbling sound on deceleration. mine didnt really sound like a ticking when it was going out.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
mine never ticked, it sounded like a.... sounded like....

wah wah wah when I'd rev to like 2 or 3k and let it come down. Almost a growl/squeal.... hard to describe, but very distinctive.

wish I could describe it better.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Ya know, now that I think about it, it was groaning and hesitating, too. It was two years ago so it's a little hard to remember.

It was ticking, but it wasn't the "valve-adjustment" ticking (because I had that done, too). It was like a LOUD, SINGULAR ticking.

It just didn't sound right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts