Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, ok i know what it is and all but when i look around and see people who have it or have there hands on it they make a big deal of it...like is it something special like 4ws???all it is, is "Active Torque Transfer System, or ATTS. ATTS is designed to give the Prelude enhanced rear-wheel-drive-like cornering ability while retaining the traditional benefits of front-wheel drive. In a tight, fast corner, the system works by increasing torque to the outboard front wheel, which in turn increases the vehicle's yaw rate, giving the driver better steering response. Basically, it neutralizes understeer for those times when a corner tightens up.". is it like a add-on to our bb6's??? thanks and sorry if this topic had been here many times before/

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
it's like an electronic LSD, but not nearly as nice as an LSD.

search around..there's a ton of threads dedicated to ATTS and the SH.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
ATTS is proportional to torque and hence throttle application [for argument's sake at least]. So in a no-throttle situation [like a lift-throttle tight-turn], there is, in essence, no torque to transfer. In contrast in a long-sweeper where one could heap generous amounts of throttle and high-engine speeds, ATTS hits it's stride and no mechanical LSD could touch it. ATTS coupled with the Type SH's proprietary suspension geometry essentially eliminates traditional torque steer and can actually do the opposite and tighten the line.

·
Sleeper Needs Boost!
2,685 Posts
lilredlude said:
ATTS is proportional to torque and hence throttle application [for argument's sake at least]. So in a no-throttle situation [like a lift-throttle tight-turn], there is, in essence, no torque to transfer. In contrast in a long-sweeper where one could heap generous amounts of throttle and high-engine speeds, ATTS hits it's stride and no mechanical LSD could touch it. ATTS coupled with the Type SH's proprietary suspension geometry essentially eliminates traditional torque steer and can actually do the opposite and tighten the line.
couldn't have said it better myself:smilejap:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
TopEndLude said:
couldn't have said it better myself:smilejap:
i'm copy/paste master, i didn't say it ;)
:smilejap:

·
Registered
351 Posts
lilredlude said:
Hey, that sounds awful familiar ;-)

·
Registered
351 Posts
lilredlude said:
haha yeah ;) u put it best :p
Why thank you very much :smilejap:

·
Registered
360 Posts
yeah as far as I'm concerned, a simple deleation of the ATTS is the best way to go. The things sucks. takes away someof the fun. Honda bastards should just put in an LSD from the begining.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
ATTS most definitely does not take away the fun. I've driven a bunch of cars with helical, quaife, and viscous LSD transmissions, and the ATTS is by far the fastest-acting of them. It's not as good in a straight line, but I prefer the ATTS over those.

And they did put in an LSD in the SiR (or SiR S Spec??) in Japan. The Type S (the highest one up) came with the ATTS.

·
Registered
768 Posts
ludehaze said:
yeah as far as I'm concerned, a simple deleation of the ATTS is the best way to go. The things sucks. takes away someof the fun. Honda bastards should just put in an LSD from the begining.
Uhhhh, what are you basing this from?

Although they behave in a similar manner (controling which wheel gets more torque), they are two very different things. An LSD will correct slipping of the wheels based upon which wheel is sleeping it will add more torque to the other wheel. The ATTS is different. It is much more "active" and bases the transfer of torque upon multiple variables, such as speed, throttle, turn, etc. It helps correct the understeer of a front wheel drive car by applying torque to the outer wheel in a turn. In some cases, it can even create oversteer which is much more common in a rear wheel drive car. An LSD and ATTS have two different applications. To say one is better than the other is not fairly observing their individual benefits. On the drag strip, the LSD is better. On the track, ATTS is better.

IMO, the ATTS applies to the Prelude much better than the LSD.

If you want to go FI then definately stay away from ATTS and go LSD

If you want to track the beast, get an SH.

·
Type-Esss
4,714 Posts
^Good advice.
I love my ATTS, the harder you push it in a corner, the tighter its line gets. Really, it feels alot like a well-balanced FR car in that you can keep pushing until: 1) Oversteer becomes so noticeable you try and countersteer and overcorrect, likely causing you to slide or spin 2) Tires just completely lose lateral grip and your car begins a 4 wheel slide towards the outside of the corner 3) You hit the bump stop on the outside front wheel causing rapid understeer.
However, much like a good FR car it takes alot to get to these extremes as long as you have either stock or good aftermarket susp. (aka, not ebay springs w/ stock shocks) and good tires and good car control. The one thing to remember is that if you countersteer too much you will likely upset your line, as the oversteer you feel is a result of the ATTS ECU seeing your steering wheel turned in the direction of the corner. If you turn it the other way, this effect will end and your lovely oversteer is rapidly gone, either causing sudden understeer or a quick snap to the other direction. Also, be careful in the rain, this is when it can get pretty squirrely. Overall, though, its really great for track or street. If you want FI or even a torquey NA build, or u plan on drag racing an LSD is better. But for an average street car ATTS is alot more fun.

Oh, yeah, forgot to tell you. ATTS works very much like a bulldozer or tank in that it steers the car by shifting tq to the outside and reducing tq on the inside. If you had control over the tq transfer effect, you could theoretically steer the car w/o ever turning the wheel! Of course, it would be unbalanced and would only work while under power, but that's just a simple analogy. Hope that helps! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts