Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, got my 98 sh a few weeks ago but heres the problem. I dont know if the guy i bought the car from ever had the ATTS serviced chances are he didnt, and i dont wanna spend a shit load of money on service just waiting for the damn light to come on. Now ive read up about ATTS and the unit itself and it requires an oil change at so many miles, but i wanna hear what you guys think. Should i bring it to honda at some point to have it serviced because i dont know if it ever was or when it was done last or should i just leave it until something happens? Im guessing an oil change on the unit would prob run me around 2-300 anyway because labor and all that shit but im confused at this point. I havent had any problems so far, so any advice is greatly appreciated

thanks

-orbs

·
Registered
488 Posts
at honda, when compared to a tranny fluid change, it should be cheaper. atts unit only holds 2qts of fluid and is fairly easy to access. The atts fluid doesnt have to be change for many many thousands of miles. make sure you dont get scammed by honda though, cause they sometimes dont know what the fuck they are talking about.

http://www.sfpoa.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6636&highlight=atts+fluid
apperantly you dont need to change the ATTS fluid as often as a auto-tranny.

under normal conditions: every 72 months or 90,000 miles
under severe conditions: every 24 monts or 30,000 miles

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
at honda, when compared to a tranny fluid change, it should be cheaper. atts unit only holds 2qts of fluid and is fairly easy to access. The atts fluid doesnt have to be change for many many thousands of miles. make sure you dont get scammed by honda though, cause they sometimes dont know what the fuck they are talking about.

http://www.sfpoa.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6636&highlight=atts+fluid
whats the difference between normal conditions and severe conditions?? and what does that mean exactly, weather?

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
im having to spend 700 on changing the right oil pressure regulator on the atts unit

·
12,918 Posts
im having to spend 700 on changing the right oil pressure regulator on the atts unit
Yeah, except you're bringing it to Honda.
And if it'd be me, I'd do it myself and it'd cost me about 200$ if I bought the part brand new. But being me, I'd look for another used atts unit which would be cheaper and I'd save even more, plus I'd have more spare parts.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If you can do an oil change you can change the ATTS fluid.
Remember to use ATF

i find taking the passanger wheel off eazier to get to the dran and fill bolts.

hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Yeah, except you're bringing it to Honda.
And if it'd be me, I'd do it myself and it'd cost me about 200$ if I bought the part brand new. But being me, I'd look for another used atts unit which would be cheaper and I'd save even more, plus I'd have more spare parts.
sorry dont have the tools to do it myself

·
Registered
70 Posts
sorry dont have the tools to do it myself
Wheewwww.. just got my engine, transmission and ATTS unit oil change. Along with a valve adjustment, rack and pinion boot cover change (both sides) and a valve gasket. No worries for a thousands and thousands of miles...:emthup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I see two numbers for replacing the ATTS fluid. Just a drain and refill seems to be 1 US-qt, however with the ATTS service, it is 1.5 US-qt.

The previous owner of this car changed the radiator, however he did not re-fill the ATTS fluid. He just quickly disconnect and reconnected the lines on the new radiator. When I drained the fluid, I might have gotten out maybe 1/3 qt of fluid. There was also ATTS fluid leak from the radiator hose area when I drove the car 3 hrs (first time after accident from 1 year ago). I realized one of the clamps was not put on properly, so hopefully this fixes my leak.

I put 1 qt of oil in there, but I am wondering if I should have put the 1.5 qt since the oil cooler was leaking? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I see two numbers for replacing the ATTS fluid. Just a drain and refill seems to be 1 US-qt, however with the ATTS service, it is 1.5 US-qt.

The previous owner of this car changed the radiator, however he did not re-fill the ATTS fluid. He just quickly disconnect and reconnected the lines on the new radiator. When I drained the fluid, I might have gotten out maybe 1/3 qt of fluid. There was also ATTS fluid leak from the radiator hose area when I drove the car 3 hrs (first time after accident from 1 year ago). I realized one of the clamps was not put on properly, so hopefully this fixes my leak.

I put 1 qt of oil in there, but I am wondering if I should have put the 1.5 qt since the oil cooler was leaking? What do you guys think?
There is a drain bolt and a check bolt right above it to let you know that it is full.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you're just doing a fluid change on the ATTS, one quart will do it. The 1.5 quart is for when you completely disassemble the unit and are filling it for the first time. To get good fresh fluid in there you could do the change once, drive for a week, then do it again. Might not do much the second time around but would clean it up a bit more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts