Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the UK and hardly see any. I have two, one in the garage and one in a barn. I paid little for them and thought they could become rare and seems they are now in the UK. I haven't seen anyone in one for some years.
I used to go to France quite a lot. Saw one in a public parking lot (indoor) in Lille. Nice condition(ish). Owner wanted to sell but too hard for me to get it out and back etc. Also as I have 2 already it would be a bit greedy. I am assuming there are quite a few in USA and Australia. Its the only model I really like. What about other parts of the globe?

·
Registered
1 Posts
In my opinion I think they are rare, they have been out of production for over thirty years and were never really sought after as collectors items/classics until very recently.

Data according to HonestJohn Classics, indicates that 92 still exist in the UK, There's no information on the 1983 model year.

1984: 4 licensed, 9 SORN
1985: 4 licensed 18 SORN
1986: 8 licensed 23 SORN
1987: 3 licensed 23 SORN

1987 might be inaccurate since the third generation was introduced in April of 1987, both 2nd and 3rd generations were sold under the 1987 model year.

336,599 2nd generation Preludes were sold in the United States. My personal estimate is that there are around 2,000-3,000 left registered nationwide with the majority residing in California, Oregon, and Washington state. Some auto parts stores and dealerships have access to the number of cars still registered in every state by year, but the data isn't released to the public. It's impossible to guess how many are sitting unregistered, but I would assume another 2,500 are still in existence rotting in peoples backyards or junkyards.

I'm not sure about Japanese production numbers, I do know that the majority of JDM models were either scrapped or exported to Australia, New Zealand, and Russia(mostly Siberia) by around 1995/1996. Your best bet of importing a RHD prelude would be from those three countries. I would assume that there are less than 300 left in Japan, and that's still a very optimistic number. Most of the examples still in Japan seem to be the prefacelift "AB" variant. Judging by a various social media and carspotting pictures online, there is still a sizeable population in the Ukraine, Poland, Czech Republic, Lebanon, Russia, United States, Germany, and France. There are others scattered around various countries in Europe, South America, Southeast Asia, etc. but not a very significant number.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts