Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since i wrecked my lude, ive been looking for a new car. unfortunately another lude might not be the most convenient choice. anyway, ive found this rx-7 on ebay and noticed the high miles. ive heard that rotary engine do not last long and this seems to be alot of miles for that engine. the seller assures me that it has been very well maintained and starts and runs with every turn of the key. id like someone with some knowledge on rotary engine to take a look at this and let me know what you think? should i jump on this opportunity, or shuld i be skeptical?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4629426837&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

·
Registered
55 Posts
although ebay is a great sellers market, i would NEVER buy a car from ebay. ecspeically an rx-7. make sure you can go check it out. drive it around. my rx7 lasted till about 70XXX and need a whole new engine, and they said it lasted long. so id be careful with taht one

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
rotary engines are generally low mileage engines. I rebuilt my rx7 after 60k miles. The only reason one would last as long as it did without the apex seals being replaced is if it was garaged or granny driven. Wich it is in decent condition so I could venture to that conclusion. I honestly think you should find one with lower mileage and call it a day. They are beutifull, fast, and fun cars.....good choice.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just talked to a buddy of mine who owns "extreme auto sport" here in town and he said his father owned one and drove it for 220k miles without a rebuild, but thats just one case. he said the main reason the engines die quickly is because they produce a hell of alot of heat, and most people will have it overheat one too many times and it dies. he told me if i was careful with it it could last just as long as his fathers.
im very attraced to the fact that rotaries are very simple and (ive been told) easy to work on in your own garage. the engine itself only has 7 moving parts. rebuilding the engine is something im willing to do, and with the condition this one is in, it could be a while before id have to do so.
and daaaammmmn they are sexy!

·
The Good Stuff
3,587 Posts
Since my last post didn't post lemme try this again.
Being an RX-7 enthusiast, I say get it. But my unbias opinion is, don't get it unless you know and trust someone who knows alot about rotaries. Apex seal replacement isn't as much of a bitch as people make it out to be. It's just time consuming, not really that hard to do. Rotaries run at higher temperatures than conventional engines. Meaning, if they overheat, they're gone. They are made to use alot of oil so if you don't keep oil in it, kiss it good bye.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
My friend has an '88 GTU, I think it's a step up from the GXL, the GTU has the sport suspension and LSD. The motor has been rebuilt once before but I can't remember at what mileage, I think around 120k miles. You want to ask the owner about rust around the sunroof, top edge of windshield and bottom edges of the doors, these are prone areas. Remember, that car is 18 years old! Ask about the exhaust piping, the CAT's are probably toast. Good luck.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
si_speed said:
That reminds me, Don't get the SE, they are SLOW. They use smaller rotors. Preferably, get the FC3S or GXL for N/A or the Turbo II.
but they all use the 13b engine, how does it have smaller rotors?

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
if your looking for a car to drive everyday....rx7 really isn't the car for you...you want to learn alot about them go to rx7club.com....
all kinds of info....

·
The Good Stuff
3,587 Posts
Clean3rdGen said:
series 4 13bt and series 5 13bt....alotta differences. also alotta differences between the 13B-REW and the 13B-RE. Just because they all have the 13b stamp means nothing....they arent hondas slick.
Thats what I was trying to say. I just couldn't remeber the RE and REW part so I tried using a metaphor. Thanks for clearing that up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.