Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 93 prelude with the H23 engine for 500 bucks...I know right cheap....well we were driving and it turned off and wont restart for one its cranking but not starting already changed the alternator and the spark plugs and still nothing anyways other then that there is a lot of wires that are just hanging and all over the place we really want to keep the car and fix it up we live in the Nampa area if your close would be great if not we love doing the work just need HELLPPP...

·
Registered
1989 Accord LXi Coupe; 1989 Prelude 2.0s; 1964 Dodge Dart GT: 1993 Kawasaki ZX-11; 1982 Honda CB900
340 Posts
My 89 did that once. found a lil wire at the firewall just below that finned aluminum box was frayed/cracked. Once I fixed it, no more non starting issues.

·
Registered
1985 Prelude
34 Posts
What do you mean by "there are a lot of wires that are just hanging all over the place"? I would test the ignition switch. A bad ignition switch can cause the problem you described. But don't just replace parts: test them!

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
817 Posts
Also, check the main fuel pump relay in the driver kick panel.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Also, check the main fuel pump relay in the driver kick panel.
So I bought a 93 prelude with the H23 engine for 500 bucks...I know right cheap....well we were driving and it turned off and wont restart for one its cranking but not starting already changed the alternator and the spark plugs and still nothing anyways other then that there is a lot of wires that are just hanging and all over the place we really want to keep the car and fix it up we live in the Nampa area if your close would be great if not we love doing the work just need HELLPPP...
[/QUOTE
When the engine turned off, did it sputter and die like it was running out of gas or did it just cut off? If it just died it may be ignition related. Check distributor, coil, rotor etc and all the wiring related. This happened to my 94 h23a1. While checking the rotor I noticed the rotor wasn't moving when cranking the engine. Yup. The timing belt broke. Do you know when your timing belt was last changed? They're good for about 95k miles or 6 years. Mine only had about 17,600 miles but was almost exactly 6 years old. Sometimes cars are cheap for a good reason. Good luck.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Common causes of dying:
Igniter in the distributor, can sometimes allow restart after cooling down.
Ignition coil, particularly if inside the distributor, can sometimes allow restart after cooling.
Main relay, though usually causes crank-no-start, not dying.
Ignition switch, usually allows immediate restart and you can usually feel where the loss of contact is if you pay attention while turning the key.

Uncommon:
Fuel pump
Broken timing belt

Make sure to check the engine control unit for trouble codes, it might give you a place to start.

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
817 Posts
Main relay, though usually causes crank-no-start, not dying.
There are 3 circuits inside that relay. If you have a lack of continuity between any of them, the relay is bad and must be replaced. Crank-no start condition will be observed. If continuity is intermittent, which is a far more common condition to observe, you might first notice the relay clicking multiple times on and off, sort of at random. This would probably allow the fuel pump to prime, but not continue running constantly, and you'll have a condition where the car will start and run, maybe even for a while, and then just inexplicably quit on you. This tends to happen as the relay gets warm. Intermittent continuity also means the relay is bad and must be replaced or repaired, but that you just don't have the completely bricked out condition. I've had this condition happen to me before. Seriously, check the relay. If nothing else, there's a troubleshooting tree for testing your main relay on a bench with a battery, a couple leads and a multimeter. I wrote it years ago. It should be in the FAQ somewhere. I'll see if I can find it myself and link it, but do look for yourself as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts