Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working to reverse engineer the factory wheel caps and wanted to see if anyone was interested in purchasing them if I did make them. Please let me know if your interested. Price is still TBD based on how many people are interested in buying them. If there is an overwhelming amount of interest, it's possible to have molds made for plastic injection parts, but if only a few people are interested, it's most likely going to be a 3d printed part. Share your thoughts.
Rim Automotive tire Road surface Gas Automotive wheel system
Wood Headgear Art Material property Table

·
Super Moderator
17,498 Posts
Assume only 10 people are interested at all times for this community. We have roughly 5k active members around the world, but only 200 or less actually wanting to seriously invest into their car, and then out of that about 100 searching for parts, and out of that 50 wanting to pay, and out of that 10 who might be really committed.

·
Registered
1991 Honda Prelude Si ALB
132 Posts
I might be interested in them if they are shiny and not painted. Mine are kind of falling apart.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Assume only 10 people are interested at all times for this community. We have roughly 5k active members around the world, but only 200 or less actually wanting to seriously invest into their car, and then out of that about 100 searching for parts, and out of that 50 wanting to pay, and out of that 10 who might be really committed.
That's unfortunate. Hopefully the demand grows for these cars as they're only becoming more rare with time. Nonetheless, I'm doing this project out of necessity for my own vehicle. If others can benefit from the effort, I'm happy to help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might be interested in them if they are shiny and not painted. Mine are kind of falling apart.
As of now, I'm leaning towards having them made out of plastic and being painted afterwards. In order to achieve a true shiny look, they would have to be made out of aluminum and polished after machining. This would require 6.75" minimum round stock, lathe and milling work. All of which doesn't make for an inexpensive part. I wonder if there is any paint alternatives that might work for your situation.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I made 3d printed clips for one of my Hondas... the biggest problem I had was how brittle 3d printed parts are compared to injection molded stuff made from nylon 6/6 or delrin. That was about 4 years ago. Maybe the technology has improved with 3d printers since to allow more flexible materials.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made 3d printed clips for one of my Hondas... the biggest problem I had was how brittle 3d printed parts are compared to injection molded stuff made from nylon 6/6 or delrin. That was about 4 years ago. Maybe the technology has improved with 3d printers since to allow more flexible materials.
There are many options for plastic filaments these days. I have an aerospace engineer friend that will be a great resource. He knows materials that I've never heard of. Also, worth noting is I'm a journeyman level machinist. There are many different manufacturing processes that could be implemented for this part, but without demand, these wheel caps will most likely have to be made using an inexpensive process such as 3D printing. IMO this will be better than having missing wheel caps, which is exactly what I have. If money wasn't an issue, I'd gladly make these out of billet aluminum but like 1funryd said already, it seems like there isn't enough demand for something like that yet.

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
That's a nice effort. How brittle is it? The white '91 Si 4ws I used to own came with a set of white sawblades with those caps. A couple of tabs broke off one of them because the old plastic has become brittle. Just wondering how well your will stay in place.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a nice effort. How brittle is it? The white '91 Si 4ws I used to own came with a set of white sawblades with those caps. A couple of tabs broke off one of them because the old plastic has become brittle. Just wondering how well your will stay in place.
I did design changes to the tabs to get rid of a stress riser. Instead of having a sharp edge/ inside corner where the tabs meet the cover, I made a healthy radius which increases the overall strength of the tabs. I also did 8 tabs instead of the factory 6. As far as longevity is concerned, only time will time. However, I'm able to pop them on with an audioible click and they have stayed on without issues all this week (I've driven mostly highways approx 300 miles, speeds up to 90mph).

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
I did design changes to the tabs to get rid of a stress riser. Instead of having a sharp edge/ inside corner where the tabs meet the cover, I made a healthy radius which increases the overall strength of the tabs. I also did 8 tabs instead of the factory 6. As far as longevity is concerned, only time will time. However, I'm able to pop them on with an audioible click and they have stayed on without issues all this week (I've driven mostly highways approx 300 miles, speeds up to 90mph).
Sounds like a better design than stock LOL.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For a first concept to a functional part, I am very pleased with the results so far. I may experiment with some different materials and/or design changes if there is enough interest to justify the further development. I also like the fact they will be available to produce well into the future and we will not be dependent on 30+ year old plastics that are brittle and on the verge of breaking at any moment you touch them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Caps look great, but please clean your wheels. They're whiter than the rest of the wheels and kind of stand out. (y)
They honestly need to be repainted at this point. Also, the paint I used for the caps was duplicolor Honda white and it's not an exact match. I need to get NH538 white but it's not cheap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts