Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have the weapon r coilovers on their lude?

are they any good. i kno ground control is the best for our ludes but i dont wana pay for htem. so dont suggest them

aqnd i also kno i can get Neuspeed or H&R

im jsut curious how good theweapon R's are lol

·
Rep me if you hate my ass
4,349 Posts
High spring rate. Well, mine are. I've got the dual spring (Circuit Pro) coil overs. I think they're great. They're a little stiff for around town, but they'd be great on a track. I think the single spring coil overs are a bit softer. They must be, because of the single-spring design.

I've seen people talk shit about the Weapon-R coil overs. They say they are crap because the ride is really bad. Well, what do you want? You want a cushy ride so your little bum bum doesn't get sore? If that's what you're after, get OEM, or Eibach. If you want a high spring rate and all you care about is handling, I think the coil overs I have are what you're after. They're stiff as fuck.

It all depends on what you're after.

--J

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Ummm i had weapon-r's on mine for about 6months...and they were fine to me... i liked the stiff ride.

alot of ppl complain cuz of the coilover bounce...maybe mine was just liek that though cuz i had it dropped almost the full 4 inches.

they were great quality though, never broke & after my car was totalled i sodl them and someone else on here bought them and i havnt heard anything about them since.

·
4,349 Posts
Awesome. Don't copy that floppy.

--J

·
Registered
3 Posts
import tuna is right. i am currently (trying ) to install the same weapon r's on my 87 and so far i've done the front and they don't even bounce! as soon as i get my rear struts off the car ( haing fun with the lower bolts on both sides ) I can give you an opinion how the car handles.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
im not sure how much i care about ride. my dads 97 f250 4x4(no lift just some ranchero shocks) rides pretty rough and if its as bad as that then idc cuz its not too bad. his 2002 f350 rides sooo nice for a 4x4 dually tho. psh we have too many big trucks lol

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cgm12mgc said:
that 4x4 should ride smoother since its high off the ground, when you lower a car with high spring rates you'll feel more of a bump because theres less suspension travel
well of course im just comparing that if its around the ride on the 250 which is pretty rough then i dont mind

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've heard of peeps mounting H&R springs on good coil over sleeves to adjust height somewhat.

The "bouncyness" that you experience from coilovers is when you use shocks that dont have a low enough bump stop. When you have stock shocks, their bump stop can only go so low before the shock it self becomes usless, burdened and eventually... blown.

All these kids bouncing around usualy throw coil overs or, dare I say, cut their springs to a ride height lower than what their stock springs can handle.

I bought the H&R race spring set because I had the balls to ride around town like a street sweeper. Trust me... putting a 2nd gen integra lip on the front of the car with a H&R race drop and 15inch Advan RG wheels and pretty decently low profile tires leaves the front end of my car literally 2 inches... no... about 1.5 inches off the ground. I'm stuck with this dangerous height... but I would never replace it because of my spring rate... 450lbsfront and 350rear I believe. Its an astonishing ride with good tires.

Oh yeah I bought the tokico shocks along with the springs... for about 1 year now... with ALOT of abuse (unforseen potholes), they've held up pretty good... still ride as new.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well thats the same setup i planned on but with 16s and a lil bit of a meaty tire but not stupid lookin and with the accord ex lip. ill prolly jsut go with the race springs

G

·
um...actually the single spring coilovers should be stiffer. the "helper" spring, the little one, takes up some slack and is softer.

·
4,349 Posts
Well squash my skunks. I thought for sure it was the other way around. Why would they name the dual-spring set-up Circuit Pro and not the other way around then!? All I know is that my spring rate is high as hell, and I like it. My ass doesn't like it, especially with 17s on, but with Tokicos, my car = on rails.

If you're right, the single spring set-up must be absolutely brutal.

--J

G

·
its due to handling prowess. it makes the spring rate semi-progressive rather than linear like it is.

its their way of cheating.

coilovers are made to have basically the same charictoristics at any chosen ride height. obviously there are otehr factors like dampener travel and weight dist. that affect handling at different heights but thats the point with coilovers.

not alot of coilover companies make a "helper" spring anymore. kinda hard to find

·
Registered
770 Posts
the so called helper spring does nothing for your spring rate it is used as a cure for coilover jumping doesnt work in my opinion o and btw were did u get the weapon r's i would like to know

·
4,349 Posts
Well, I got them about, aw shit. Five years ago now maybe? I had a local speed shop bring them in for me.

http://store.racinglab.com/weciprocokit.html

Fuck. I can't believe how cheap these are. When these came out, they were $360 US per set. I got fucked.

--J

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
alerski said:
import tuna is right. i am currently (trying ) to install the same weapon r's on my 87 and so far i've done the front and they don't even bounce! as soon as i get my rear struts off the car ( haing fun with the lower bolts on both sides ) I can give you an opinion how the car handles.
Weapon R's sleaves won't fit the rear of the 2nd gens struts.

·
4,349 Posts
Well that's sure odd since the application I have says it is for '87-'91 Preludes. Do you know this for certain, Daily?

--J

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Import_Tuna said:
Well that's sure odd since the application I have says it is for '87-'91 Preludes. Do you know this for certain, Daily?

--J
I'm sure unless they changed it. They used to show 86-90 and the sleaves were too small to fit over the rear struts on my 87Si...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts