Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how hard it is to rebuild a transmission. I just replaced my broken one with one from the junkyard, and my synchros are starting to go ( i can only shift into second if the r's are low enough, and it sometimes grinds going into third). I've rebuilt an engine, so i'm mechanically inclined i was just wondering how hard it was, or how much there is to it. i can get a rebuild kit w/ synchros for about $200, and i don't wanna pay over a grand just for someone else to rebuild it if i can do it myself. any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Replacing just the synchros is pretty easy. Changing out bearings or gears requires selecting the correct thickness shims to maintain the right spacing along the shafts.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You will need some snapring pliers, some bearing race drivers and seal drivers.
A press will come in handy.
Lay all the parts out in the order that you remove them. Put all the little stuff in medicine bottles and mark them.
If you can rebuild an engine you can do this too.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
repairing gearbox

Well i'd give it to someone to do started mine and gave up, cost me £75 to have someone put all the new bits in and that was it. If you take it out yourself and give the box to a recommended gearbox repairer works out a lot cheaper.
Also the teg box looks a lot like a B20A box apart from bellhousing being different the box looks the same??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts