Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my blower motor took a crap on me and I've been w/out heat for weeks! It's been acting up since Jan of this year!

Anyways, after doing some searching I've found that the user mouchyn on here says the 96 Honda Accord LX blower motor will bolt right up, you just have to swap the squirrel cages...I'm guessing that means the fan.

I bought one from a junkyard so I could use the fan from it and it was fried. Well I also bought one from advance auto brand new it didnt have the fan, hence why I went to the junker.

I tried swapping the fan and it doesnt sit flush being that the one from advance auto is slightly designed different. I tried installing it like that and the fan hits so I'm out to my car right now to try to get this to work again. Any suggestions as to whats going on or anyone out there done this same swap before?

Also the reason for doing this is an ugrade, the accord blower is more powerful than the lude blower! Ice cold ac and steaming hot heat FTW!
From the searching I've done it looks as if all accords that gen will work, not just LX and 96 model only!

We also have a hose coming from ours, where the accord doesn't. So this is preventing air from going through the vents if I'm thinking right!

For comparison here's how similar they are:

3rd gen:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...R+2.0SI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=HEATER+BLOWER

96 Accord:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...=4DR+LX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=HEATER+BLOWER

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I know this is off topic but what does FTW mean?
I wish i could help you but i dont know about the fan in a lude

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no clue why this was moved first of all being it is 3rd gen related!! Mods please move back to 3rd gen section, thanks!

Ftw= For the win

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Thanks i see it all the time but never knew
ok back on topic
Have you tryed to switch the motor from the new one and put it on the old one that was in the car and see if that would work (jsut the new motor to the old bracket and cage)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well the only way to make the fan go on is to get the one made for the accord. The stud that the fan slides on is round with one slot. The lude's has 2 slots. The hole in the fan is designed to only fit the way the slot is made.

I'm pretty pissed right now after trial and error for almost 2 hrs. The 3 bolt holes line right up! I tried to use the rubber gasket from the prelude's blower motor it seemed to help the fan from hitting, being that it lowered the entire assembly all together. However, the bolts are now too short to connect with the gasket in place. I guess I'll try hitting up the hardware store tomorrow to match up some longer bolts or washers could work:-|. This is becoming rediculous and not worth all the trouble!

I'm about to give up on this honestly and just throw the oem shit back in.
After plugging up this blower and hearing its power it would be worth the extra yard I guess.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
i knew about this and mine just quit so keep us informed

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Will keep you informed and yes, I already have taken a few pics earlier today and yesterday I believe. I was planning on making it a write up when done to help out people in my same situation:smile:. Of course Mouchyn would be honored with the finding of this upgrade!

Now that I look at it, washers may not be such a great idea afterall, being it will drop the unit down and probably cause lack of airflow. I'm thinking longer screws and washers to go on them since originals have them, along with the gasket and it should be set to go!

I'm just becoming impatient about the whole thing is all. I'll have it squared away soon enough!:p

Top post edited for more added info!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
dosent ftw mean fuck the world?
lol

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Will keep you informed
Thanks! What brand motor were/are you using? I will check now on the accord fan motor price but the factory replacemant one for 91 si I was going to use the factory air one from advance with lifetime warranty. Its just because I think I remember seeing factory air before when shopping for a/c parts and the lifetime warranty.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Holy Crap! I got a major update for you! I was so pissed at the $218 price for our fan motor. Well I was doing some checking on the online catalog. You can only buy the fan squirrel cage and motor together. However the price is only $78 for both where I buy my online factory parts!! If you get frustrated dealing with aftermarket this may be the way to go! Also it should be known that this same fan squirrel cage and motor is found on a lot of other hondas with the exact same part number. Here are all the other hondas it fits: civic 2dr / 3dr / 4dr 96-00, Insight 00-06, Del Sol 93-97, Civic 2dr / 3dr / 4dr 92-95, 4th gen prelude 92-96, Accord 2dr 94-97, Accord 4dr 94-97 E2, V6 E2, accord wagon 94-97.

·
Premium Member
16,911 Posts
I have done this modification and the motor does not blow any harder than the OEM one, so its not really an upgrade more of a work around.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
yeah I was starting to wonder about that after seeing all the hondas that had them including the cheaper civics. But thought maybe they improved output and made an all across the line improvement / install. Even if there is no major improvement in air flow it is still an upgrade as it costs a 1/3 of the factory price of a second release 3rd gen. Also it as a part is used on cars clear into 2000 making replacemant available at the parts counter for years to come unlike our dwindleling 3rd gen prelude stock. So with that in mine and the fact that you have done the swap shame on you for not showing insight to how you got it to work! Please redeem yourself and let the op and me know how you did it! Hehe Kevin!

·
Premium Member
16,911 Posts
Well if you really must know, I just used the entire assembly and just cut the connector and spliced the OEM one onto the Accord fan and blower motor and bolted it back up.

The fan will rub the inside of the fan cage but once the plactic part is worn down enough after a week of using it everyday, then it just keeps working.

I took both motor with their perspective fans and tested their power output by directly connectin them to the battery, and they are the same in power.

I was dissappointed to say the least because I chopped up the wiring harness of the OEM one that was only a year old and used a junkyard one in its place and got the same results.

But like you said Kevin, its still a plus since our parts are dwindeling.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Thanks, yeah its not just the fact our parts are dwindleing, its also the fact that if you want a honda factory motor for a 91 si it is $218 online and more at the stealership while you can get this motor with new squirrel cage fan blade for $78 online plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm...with that being said Sean I may just say to hell with trying to swap this if there is no power gain at all. It seems to be ALOT louder than the stock blower.

I've got a replacement made for the prelude as well sitting out in the car. It didnt come with a connector or anything, I don't want to go splicing so I'm kinda confused as what to do about that.

I can't keep screwin around w/ this. I'm ready for my heat to work again, upgrade or no upgrade:sneaky2:

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I can get that factory air brand fan motor for $40 with lifetime warranty. But if you continue please post up your fix because if I can modify mine cheaply to the later model blower I would do that now knowing it would be an easy swap in the future. I would rather spend a little over $80 + shipping and know that it was a direct swap for the motor available down the line that was still available. On that note I believe the factory air and all other aftermarket receiver/driers failed and didn't have the binary switch or a port for the switch. That is why I went with the honda factory part. If you give up on the motor and squirrel cage you have and buy the later model honda accord motor and fan squirrel cage online and install it with instructions I will shortly follow and be eternally grateful!! We are long on our way to a stickie so don't fail me now.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cudaboy, may I ask where you found this part #'s? What's the site? Thanks!
For now I'll probably just put the oem one in it or let the fan hit on the accord one lol...out to car to finish up, then my homie's house to chill and buy some new windshield wipers for the lude:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts