Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
almost done with the install but for the life of me i can't find a way to get new speaker wire inside the doors of my fifth gen -

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,273 Posts
take off the doors... I don't know an easier way, someone please let me know too if you know a nicer way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,134 Posts
shit i just did this shit too yesturday, u will never get new wire in there through the stock place. belive me i have tried for a good four hours. if i knew someone was gonna ask this i would have taken pics, well technically i still can... what u gota do is drill a holee in the body of the car accross the door near the weather stripping, and then take out the speaker from the door and look into the housing on the actual door, u will notice some light coming from the bottom, that is a little hole for something but speaker wire fits in perfectly. well yeah just push it through there and there you go, u got new wire... i dont have my digi but as soon as i do i will post up picks for ya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
djurchicprelude said:
shit i just did this shit too yesturday, u will never get new wire in there through the stock place. belive me i have tried for a good four hours. if i knew someone was gonna ask this i would have taken pics, well technically i still can... what u gota do is drill a holee in the body of the car accross the door near the weather stripping, and then take out the speaker from the door and look into the housing on the actual door, u will notice some light coming from the bottom, that is a little hole for something but speaker wire fits in perfectly. well yeah just push it through there and there you go, u got new wire... i dont have my digi but as soon as i do i will post up picks for ya

pictures will be nice. i am doing the same thing here. trying to get as much info as i can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,273 Posts
i've been meaning to do it, sporting the stock wires and i'm going to add more power and I want bigger better wires there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,134 Posts
imma try and get those pics up for u today
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,273 Posts
djurchicprelude said:
imma try and get those pics up for u today
liar!!! :)

supdood123 said:
texas prelude owners group (web site) has a writeup of how a guy used the stock wire loom and fit 16 gauge through there....
i'll check that right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
When running your wires through the stock wire loom, make sure to lube them up.

I have no experience with a 5th gen, but on my 3rd gen, I just ran 12 and 14 gauge through both doors.. I coulden't get it through for the life of me without lube, then I used some lithium grease on the end foot or so of the wire, and it slid through a LOT easier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,273 Posts
Towlieee said:
When running your wires through the stock wire loom, make sure to lube them up.

I have no experience with a 5th gen, but on my 3rd gen, I just ran 12 and 14 gauge through both doors.. I coulden't get it through for the life of me without lube, then I used some lithium grease on the end foot or so of the wire, and it slid through a LOT easier.
:emthup: good call
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
Towlieee said:
When running your wires through the stock wire loom, make sure to lube them up.

I have no experience with a 5th gen, but on my 3rd gen, I just ran 12 and 14 gauge through both doors.. I coulden't get it through for the life of me without lube, then I used some lithium grease on the end foot or so of the wire, and it slid through a LOT easier.

HAHAHAAHHAAH

just remember to ALWAYS USE "LUBE" on whateverrrr you do!! :turn:
 

·
Kickass truck missed
Joined
·
6,583 Posts
you can fish wire.
take a coat hanger and cut it open, unbend so its a long strait wire. tape end so metal wire wont punchure gromits, looms, uphostry, etc. tape new speaker wire to coat hanger wire. fish this through door, rear pillars, under carpet, etc..

your hanger may need a 'bend' put back in in order to take a door bend or whatever.


if you have NO PLANS to keep the OEM wire, you can cut one end (say at the speaker), tape the new speaker wire to this OEM wire .. as you pull the old wire out, you will thread the new wire in.

this dont mean to just yank and pull your hardest. you goign to have to work with this, cafefuly, it takes time, but the results are worth it.

you can use lube to make the threading easier, but it can get messy (lubed wire touching glass when window is rolled down and stuff like that)
also its a good idea to make sure your lube is not conductive.
 

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
Joined
·
11,000 Posts
I was looking at this yesterday since i'm about to mount INfinity components up front and it seems that removing the 4 door hing bolts with a helper to hold the door propped up on something while you fish speaker wire through from the door side to the inside of the car through the factory rubber loom would work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
you COULD tie the new cable to the stock cable and pull the stock cable out...thus pulling the new cable in...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,273 Posts
mty said:
you COULD tie the new cable to the stock cable and pull the stock cable out...thus pulling the new cable in...
WOW, i never thought of that, good idea man.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top