Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading about a lot of thefts of cars it seems. So I was thinking, why not make a thread where people can bounce around ideas on anti-theft devices/techniques! It's in the 3rd gen section, because hopefully these will apply to just 3rd gens. So far from what I've read you've got a few options.

Steering wheel locks
Fuel Cutoff switches
and Alarm Systems.

What about something that requires you to put in two keys? Or something that looks like a key, but in reality uses a magnet to trigger a switch (Reed?) that then allows use of the ignition. If I had the time and money, I'd build a computer in my car, and rig up a Biometric finger scanning system, and just have the scanner integrated into the shifting column.
A hidden switch that allows the shifter to be locked would be cool too. Hide it under the seat or something.

Yeah, I know this would also be a way for thieves to figure out ways to get our cars, but it's at least a way to share ideas and information on stuff like this.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
take your steering wheel off

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
o and have a ninja live in your car that would be cool somebody break your window and lose there head by the SWORD lol

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
have a killer monkey in the back seat..
seriously though a kill switch of some sort when actuall key is not in the vehicle, you know like the newer hondas

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
put a midget in the steering column, and when they get in, hell jump out and choke them!
lol
that was on american dad last week.

pull a fuse.. not too sure which one.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
If they want the car, they're going to get the car. It's called a flatbed tow truck.

Get a good gps tracker, so you can get the car back.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
^^^^^true^^^^^

there was a girl on pimp my ride one time that would take her wheels off
im geting a kill switch in mine when its running and a good alarm with my alarm im putting two horns in too

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, a small time thief wont have a flatbed tow truck handy. The GPS locator would be nice though, but I would want it rigged so that it knew I (The Owner) was driving it. Not to mention a sort of saftey for when I take it to the shop. I read somewhere that in Africa, they can use acid showers as an anti-theft device. :shock: And pulling a fuse might not work if they have the time to check that, and/or carry spare fuses~

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
any form of very well hidden interrupt switch for something necessary is what i'd go for. like the main relay or fuel pump wiring or something.

personally, i prefer an interrupt switch only in the fuel pump wiring. that way when they try to start the car, it will actually start because if the fpr is still in good shape it will still have fuel pressure. but it will only run for about 3-4 seconds and then stall out and never start again.
and usually when people steal cars, they obviously have to get there somehow, so their ride waits for a minute til they get your car started, and soon as it starts they take off and let the stolen car catch up.

so by doing this you are leaving the thief stranded in your car by himself without a ride, frantically trying to get it to restart cuz he got it started once and thinks he'll get it started again. and by allowing it to run for a few seconds, it gives you the chance to possibly hear it and go bolting out the door to pound his face in as he attempts to restart it. and if he bounces, he'll be on foot now cuz his ride already took off, so you have the chance to follow and catch him.

ideas for actual switches that can do this would be a magnetic switch hidden somewhere behind the dash, or a pushbutton switch hidden somewhere under the carpet.

you want it to be something that a thief cannot see the wiring for if he were to peek around for a moment, and you want it to be something a passenger wouldn't notice you doing every time you got in the car and started it or shut it off

its also a good idea no matter what you end up doing, to use the same color wiring for all wires added, and even add a few dummy wires that look like they are part of it as well. that way if a thief does find the wiring, its that much longer for them to attempt to figure it out or give up

and even better idea on top of that, is to add a noticeable rocker switch under the dash to appear as if its supposed to be hidden, but in view enough that a thief would definitely find it. and then wire the switch directly to a main fuse after the fuse on one side and to a ground on the other side. so when the car stalls out, the first thing thiefs always do is quickly search for a "hidden" switch. they find that one, and flick it thinking thats your cutoff switch, thinking they can now restart the car and take off, but it actually will cause the fuse to blow making it impossible to restart the car. so now to start it they have to replace the fuse AND still find the REAL switch.
this will keep them in the car longer, giving you more time to catch them or at least see who it is. it will also tell you if anyone tried stealing your car without you knowing if one day you go out and the car wont start and you find the fuse blown.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
there is a bad thing with the gps
My boss got a email the other day talking about a person with gps in there car was at a football game the car got stolen they used the gps to go to there house and clean it out They knew the people were at the football game and how long it would last and cus of the gps they had turn by turn directions to there house

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
there is a bad thing with the gps
My boss got a email the other day talking about a person with gps in there car was at a football game the car got stolen they used the gps to go to there house and clean it out They knew the people were at the football game and how long it would last and cus of the gps they had turn by turn directions to there house
get a different type of gps.
hide it in your car.
like a cheap ass cell phone.
and keep it charged/charging at all times.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and even better idea on top of that, is to add a noticeable rocker switch under the dash to appear as if its supposed to be hidden, but in view enough that a thief would definitely find it. and then wire the switch directly to a main fuse after the fuse on one side and to a ground on the other side. so when the car stalls out, the first thing thiefs always do is quickly search for a "hidden" switch. they find that one, and flick it thinking thats your cutoff switch, thinking they can now restart the car and take off, but it actually will cause the fuse to blow making it impossible to restart the car. so now to start it they have to replace the fuse AND still find the REAL switch.
this will keep them in the car longer, giving you more time to catch them or at least see who it is. it will also tell you if anyone tried stealing your car without you knowing if one day you go out and the car wont start and you find the fuse blown.
That is an awesome idea.

If the magnetic switch was to be placed somewhere, where would be a good spot though? Or even a non-magnetic switch. If it was placed by the seat adjuster, passengers would just think you were adjusting your seat a lot. Use a ruse of ''back problems'' or something if they ask.

91 Prelude - Just to clarify, the GPS I think we're talking about is a hidden bolt on kind. Not a standard window GPS direction giver. I hate those.

On the GPS topic though, since I read a thread that had one that used a LiPO battery (Lithium Polymer), If you wanted to, you could hide a solar panel under the sunroof, but on top of the sheild. Not many people will think to look there, and that could provide a constant trickle charge. Another possiblity is just run a hard 12V line out to it, Or use a small sealed lead acid battery (Think electric scooters, or even a larger RC Car battery), and run a discreet (And wire tucked of course) wire from the alternator to charge the battery.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Moto's suggestions are good and valid, but at somepoint going through all the different switches, fuses, etc., i'm the only one that can drive my car! If my brother needs the car, i really don't want to have to teach him how to start it if its a drawn out process.

The gps tracking is a good idea. Also whoever suggested if they want it, they will get it is dead on. The more difficult you make it, the more they will damage things to get what they want.

I'd just like to mention the value of full-coverage insurance, and good reciept record keeping. If you have liability and it's stolen, well guess what they aren't liable.
AKA it's gone. While you may have more money than it is worth into a car, with full coverage you would at least get enough money to pick up a DD, especially if you have reciepts to prove what you have into it. You will pay more in insurance, but if you have a good driving record, it often is worth the small difference.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
maybe use the idea of moto's for placing an obvious switch somewhere but have it connected to some kind of taser like device that would deliver a nasty shock to his ass and sound an alarm or just sleep in your car with a gun and a pitbull

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
the one i was talking about was a hidden bolt on one but they found it the people dident know there car was stolen tell the game was over and it was tolate

on the switch I was thinking about a button on the floor under the carpet that you hit with your foot you think that would be a good idea It would have to be somewere that you dont hit it geting in the car but were it dont look you hit the same spot everytime you get in to

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
maybe use the idea of moto's for placing an obvious switch somewhere but have it connected to some kind of taser like device that would deliver a nasty shock to his ass and sound an alarm or just sleep in your car with a gun and a pitbull

My friends cousen put a coil wire in the seat of his other cousens truck when he started the car it shocked the shit out of him

BUT i wouldent try this you could get really hurt his family is just loco

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
on the switch I was thinking about a button on the floor under the carpet that you hit with your foot you think that would be a good idea It would have to be somewere that you dont hit it geting in the car but were it dont look you hit the same spot everytime you get in to
well then, that sounds like an inside job.
cuz theyd have to hook it up to a computer and shit to get the information of where its been out..
it wouldve just been easier to look in the phonebook.
unless it is a standard gps with a poor attempt at hiding it?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^Maybe there wasent pictures of anything

Why did you quote the button thing that was a idea had nothing to do with the football car

1 - 20 of 216 Posts