Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Honda Prelude Si
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So....im having issues with my PS sense I got the motor swapped. Did not realize the guy who did the swap did not fill the res. It only ran empty for a min as I pulled on the car dolly.

Its not leaking, its not making any bad sounds or really any sounds at all. It works...but has hang ups / gets stiff, mostly when turning left. This AM, after letting the car sit over night, I jacked her up and started the bleed procedure. Been at it for a while. Get a good bit of rise in the fluid but does not seem to be burping any bubbles big or small. I can hear what sounds like a a squirting sound / small bubbles rushing through the steering system as my lady turns the wheel. Normally this happens when nearing the lock....but not every time.

With the coil wire unhooked I turned the engine over 4-5 times....the fluid in res receded like they say it should. But I think the res may be slightly over full. Kinda hard to tell. Installed cap and fired up.

Let her run for 2-3min while I turned wheel....still crappy. And when I shut her down and checked the fluid it had gone from a nice clean red to looking more tan. I assume this is because it Blended a bunch of air into it. But very possibly am wrong.

Do I let sit a while and keep at the bleeding? Should I remove some fluid? Am I doing anything terribly wrong or missing something Could my issue be elsewhere? Like in the rack and pinion?

Extra note....
In all of the Hondas I've abused through the years (5 different CB7 that made it to 350k+) I've almost always used a cheap PSF / Lucas blend instead of the Honda fluid. I've had great success (never had a pump fail) or any issues not related to line leaks. Are these lude PS pumps that much more particular?

·
Registered
1989 Honda Prelude Si
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@1funryd I'm really hoping its not the pump. I should have one with my parts car but we'll see. I doubt its in any better condition. Just seems odd that my issues are only really when turning left and only some times. Was hoping this was indicative of a different problem.

I suppose issues with the rack itself are worse than pump issues.

·
Premium Member
17,268 Posts
@1funryd I'm really hoping its not the pump. I should have one with my parts car but we'll see. I doubt its in any better condition. Just seems odd that my issues are only really when turning left and only some times. Was hoping this was indicative of a different problem.

I suppose issues with the rack itself are worse than pump issues.
pump issues are definitely easier to deal with than the rack, but if its not the pump, the rack is worse to deal with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts