Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I blew up my tranny. It was strange when it happened because I was just cruuising down the street. Left the stoplight, tried to shift to second at 3k rpm and boom. But now the question, and yes I've searched but if theres something I didnt find point me in the right direction. I know that you cant just swap out the gears in a tranny without doing some major work. But what transmissions from other cars will bolt up to our engines. Preferably something with a more cruise like 5th gear. Or is it possible to use the bell housing of a tranny off of my car and put the gears from another one in it. Please help, thanks guys

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Nope, you just need to replace your entire tranny with the same one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
well dude don't feel bad. I busted the timing belt today. I thought I ran out of gas, but then I looked under the timing cover and saw it was the belt. It is highly likely that i bent the valves to since I cranked it so much(you know old hondas). I'm pissed. I'm thinking of just calling it quits and getting a new car. I'm thinking about getting a scion tc. What do you guys think about that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had asked this question awhile back and some of the guys said that the trans from an 88-89 lude has longer gears so lower RPM's in the high gears if this is what you meant by a cruisin 5th gear.

zooyorkrocker77 said:
Well guys, I blew up my tranny. It was strange when it happened because I was just cruuising down the street. Left the stoplight, tried to shift to second at 3k rpm and boom. But now the question, and yes I've searched but if theres something I didnt find point me in the right direction. I know that you cant just swap out the gears in a tranny without doing some major work. But what transmissions from other cars will bolt up to our engines. Preferably something with a more cruise like 5th gear. Or is it possible to use the bell housing of a tranny off of my car and put the gears from another one in it. Please help, thanks guys

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Haven't seem one come ANYWHERE close to the times I lay down at auto X. So handling mus'nt be all that.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
kbulls, im assuming your comment was referring to the guy asking what we thought of a scion tc. otherwise i have no idea what you're referring to lol.

what tranny do you have currently zooyorkrocker? you never stated which one you have, so we cant really help you on what would be better.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've been having a lot of grinding problems into second, whether it's up shifts of downshifts it will grind sometimes (not all the times, only on hard revs, or downshifts above like 30 MPH not including disengaging clutch I'm talking about just from nth gear to 2nd at 30 grinds..). Sorry to possibly jack your thread, but any idea's on that? It's only 2nd too btw.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
the 88/89 trans is much better for cruising,
i beleive if you get the 88/89 flywheel it will work,
and they make lightweight flywheels for the 88/89 cars....

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
jeffefg90 said:
I've been having a lot of grinding problems into second, whether it's up shifts of downshifts it will grind sometimes (not all the times, only on hard revs, or downshifts above like 30 MPH not including disengaging clutch I'm talking about just from nth gear to 2nd at 30 grinds..). Sorry to possibly jack your thread, but any idea's on that? It's only 2nd too btw.
2nd gear syncro<sp> going bad would be my guess.

mod can delete the below post by me. it posted almost every word as a new reply :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts