Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,

i have a 90 si. the car is completely stock. on my car the passenger side fog lights work but not the driver side. i thought, the bulb was bad. so i brought a new one and put it in there. but to my surprise, i did not work. i checked the bulb by hooking it to passenger side, it works. mind u i have not done any fog light rewire. that was my next thing to do.

now does anyone have any idea why only one side would work. any wiring diagrams to check? please help,

thanx,
paul
 

·
www.Zohf.com
Joined
·
3,612 Posts
Definately a bad connection somewhere, maybe the housing is rusted and you aren't getting a good connection at the bulb?? Try cleaning it. Also, did it work before the bulb in it went out?
 

·
Preludepower Member
Joined
·
2,656 Posts
The ground wire.
It always comes off or comes loose.

That's 75% the culprit behind the 90-91 fogs.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,144 Posts
sounds like a ground wire.

get a multimeter, and check for continuity from the ground wire to the Body of the car, and Voltage from the +12 wire, to a ground.

see if voltage is there, and if a ground is there...

that is your troublshooting starting point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
some more info please ...

thanx guy for the response. when i had brought the lude, since then just the passenger side is working. i just wanted to fix this, checked up the housing and it kinda rusted. i will try to check up on the ground wire; but can u please help me locate it. i hope i do not have to take the bumper off to check it.

rudeludenotmeanthough said:
sounds like a ground wire.

get a multimeter, and check for continuity from the ground wire to the Body of the car, and Voltage from the +12 wire, to a ground.

see if voltage is there, and if a ground is there...

that is your troublshooting starting point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats the key word there: its black

thanx luda. will look at it tonight, hopefully it will work.

LudaPower said:
.. take out the fog.. where else is it gonna be.. definetely not the trunk. :D
its black
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
GUYS I HAVE this same EXACT problem on my 91 lude. Is this a common problem? Must be. Does anybody else have this problem? Please let me no how and if you fix it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haven't gotten to it yet

hey bigashota,

i got your pm on this. i have not gotten around to fixing it. prolly will happen this weekend. but from what i can tell the last time i opened my fogs, the housing in question is quite rusted. and offcourse not to forget that the glass on that fog was broken by the previous owner and held together by some sort of tape and heat treatment. i have been trying to get another fog assembly, but looks like it will take time. i'll let u guys know what i find next.

btw dano, from the top of my head rust does not conduct electricity because the chemical bonds there do not leave any energy for electrons in lower orbit to move to higher orbit and transfer their energy around. hence no propogation of electricity. hope i got it right :turn:

paul

Bigashota247 said:
GUYS I HAVE this same EXACT problem on my 91 lude. Is this a common problem? Must be. Does anybody else have this problem? Please let me no how and if you fix it.
 

·
~~EVIL LAUGH~~~
Joined
·
1,503 Posts
paramthegreat said:
btw dano, from the top of my head rust does not conduct electricity because the chemical bonds there do not leave any energy for electrons in lower orbit to move to higher orbit and transfer their energy around. hence no propogation of electricity. hope i got it right :turn:

paul
Damn, pretty technical stuff. I'll try and call you this weekend, hopefully nothing comes up. We can try and check the continuity on the wires and figure this out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
haha I have the EXACT same problem too, i can't figure it out...but let me know what you guys come up with...and i'll check the ground soon enough and let you guys know.

Question: so if voltage appears from the ground wire to the body of the car, that's not good, right? So would i have to find where it's grounded? What do i do then?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top