Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm Billy. I've been doing some light reading of the forums for a few months now since i picked up a totaled 98 back in the fall.

I recently acquired a stripped and beat up 01 with a clean title that is becoming my weekend project.

The summer should be full of updates and slow progress so I'm looking forward to sharing and hopefully contributing to the community you all have here.

I'm located in upstate New York, north of Albany. I'm an advanced MECP technician for Best Buy and have been installing professionally for about 5 years. This is my 2nd Honda, the first being a 99 Civic coupe 5sp which I had only equipped with an intake and exhaust. My daily driver is a 2011 Jeep Patriot that is too slow to get out of its own way.

Short term goals (8/1/16) for the '01 Prelude are:

- swap doors, dr front fender, hood, and complete interior from '98
- replace front bumper and pass front fender with new pieces
- swap transmission from '98

Mid Term goals (4/1/17):

- Dent repair to roof, hood, and dr rear qtr panel
- New Paint Job, back to original blue pearl

Long Term Goals (TBD):

- Rebuild motor from '98 with proper internals and install a Turbo
- Swap motor for rebuilt

So there you have it. If you guys have any questions related to audio or electrical, I'm here to offer my assistance any way that I can. I'm also open to comments/suggestions for the project, I can see that there are many, many projects on here already so I value all of your input. Thanks guys

The day I bought it:

As it sits now:

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Killed by other social media and the fact that these cars are awkwardly middle-aged. Not new enough for the late model modders, not old enough to be classic, not a drift car, not considered a fast car... just cheap transportation for most owners. Only a few people "get it" and are still building them. Or even maintaining them!

That being said... if you hang around a while, post more updates, and post comments on others' builds, you'll start getting a little feedback. You have to be a known entity for anyone to care about you. Or just post a lot of really nice photos!

If nothing else this forum is still a great source of knowledge. Use it for that and build your car on Instagram if you just want the likes and comments.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
should i start a build thread? or just post here...

the optimist in me says start a build thread. but the realist in me says "why? you know you'll click "new post" and find a thread about a problem where the only response people are giving is, "do a search."

Why don't people understand what a forum is for?

Communication specific to a particular situation.

So what if it's been covered before... Post the direct link to it or answer the question. Period.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Yeah it is frustrating when you run into that "search it" answer. But the old timers get sick of answering the same questions over and over. So they disappear when they no longer own a Prelude, and all the new owners are tossing questions into the void that is Facebook. Bit of a catch-22.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Guys add me to the group of new Lude purchasers/builders. I'm 31 and have wanted one of these beutiful machines sinces the 5th gen hit the pavement. I know its old now and I dont assume to get fresh or up to date answers or comments by the old timers but guys like us can search the old threads and come up with answers and solutions to our builds. Maybe I am just an optimist but I hate Face Book so I will try my luck here. Im looking forward to working with you guys while building our almost classic cars ;-)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guys, I'm Billy. I've been doing some light reading of the forums for a few months now since i picked up a totaled 98 back in the fall.

I recently acquired a stripped and beat up 01 with a clean title that is becoming my weekend project.

The summer should be full of updates and slow progress so I'm looking forward to sharing and hopefully contributing to the community you all have here.

I'm located in upstate New York, north of Albany. I'm an advanced MECP technician for Best Buy and have been installing professionally for about 5 years. This is my 2nd Honda, the first being a 99 Civic coupe 5sp which I had only equipped with an intake and exhaust. My daily driver is a 2011 Jeep Patriot that is too slow to get out of its own way.

Short term goals (8/1/16) for the '01 Prelude are:

- swap doors, dr front fender, hood, and complete interior from '98
- replace front bumper and pass front fender with new pieces
- swap transmission from '98

Mid Term goals (4/1/17):

- Dent repair to roof, hood, and dr rear qtr panel
- New Paint Job, back to original blue pearl

Long Term Goals (TBD):

- Rebuild motor from '98 with proper internals and install a Turbo
- Swap motor for rebuilt

So there you have it. If you guys have any questions related to audio or electrical, I'm here to offer my assistance any way that I can. I'm also open to comments/suggestions for the project, I can see that there are many, many projects on here already so I value all of your input. Thanks guys

The day I bought it:

As it sits now:
The schedule looks good. I may look you up for electrical advice. I just posted yesterday & hope you don't get discouraged, or both of us don't get discouraged.

Killed by other social media and the fact that these cars are awkwardly middle-aged. Not new enough for the late model modders, not old enough to be classic, not a drift car, not considered a fast car... just cheap transportation for most owners. Only a few people "get it" and are still building them. Or even maintaining them!

That being said... if you hang around a while, post more updates, and post comments on others' builds, you'll start getting a little feedback. You have to be a known entity for anyone to care about you. Or just post a lot of really nice photos!

If nothing else this forum is still a great source of knowledge. Use it for that and build your car on Instagram if you just want the likes and comments.
That's pretty sound advice, appreciate that.

Hey Guys add me to the group of new Lude purchasers/builders. I'm 31 and have wanted one of these beutiful machines sinces the 5th gen hit the pavement. I know its old now and I dont assume to get fresh or up to date answers or comments by the old timers but guys like us can search the old threads and come up with answers and solutions to our builds. Maybe I am just an optimist but I hate Face Book so I will try my luck here. Im looking forward to working with you guys while building our almost classic cars ;-)
Sounds good, I'm new here too & am looking forward to good knowledge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts