Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo... my alpine 4 channel amp was at 129 degrees the other day and I wasn't sure if that was really hot or not, I never really looked at temp, but after that day my amp is cuttig out at high volumes (greater than 18) any clues guys? is that heat dengerous or should I be rewiring it to be sure it's all ok?

·
Registered
513 Posts
hmmm-, im pretty sure that mcuh heat iis prettydangerous for an amp
was it on/playing at this temp?
cause if so somthing may have been fried, but not to say its time for a new amp,
check the wires, and also play your amp, and get out and go watch it, make sure its turning on right and theres no visual problems

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah... it turns on fine, and it was playin at that temp. I dont care if I need a new amp, I paid the extra 40 bucks for the replacement plan :) :) I messed with it a bit, I might just deal with it for a while, I wanna get the new version if I'm replacing it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
well try checking the ohm load for the speakers and that your amp can handle it but also wheck your ground and if thats all good more then likely it is bad and i would asume you got it at best buy, just take it back.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, the amp can handle it, i'm actually going to reground and add another amp and hopefully bridge this amp to my door speakers soon... finals in two weeks, right now i'm good with one speaker.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Yeah my amps have temp/volt readout but there far from going in at the moment, alarm first. If it was a 100 out I could see the trunk maybe hitting 129. Not real sure. I was pretty sure dash temps could get that hot. I know heat is no good but dk. I did just get a dual volt/temp sensors for my heads up display for the HU. Maybe I will play with where I put the sensors for temp.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i thought about it the other day, amp read 88... that's 40 degrees difference, that really seems like a lot. I bought some wire today, I should have my other amp in this weekend :) :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts