Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just installed my sound system (which includes four type r 100w speakers, a 15" type r 750w sub, a 900w kenwood amp and a 500w power acoustik amp) and I am wondering if I will need to upgrade my alternator or not. I need a new one and am basically asking if the 70amps from the stock one is enough, or if i should install the 90amp accord alternator or even try and find a high output alternator (say with 120amps). Thanks!

and here is the link to my sub installation thread, it has more info on all the equipment i have:
http://preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305392

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
ive read somewhere in stevemeads site that if your not pushing 3000w then its best to do a good battery and the big3 but the accord alternator wouldnt hurt oooooorrrrr get an iraggi alternator

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Capacitor will help your bass peaks, without dimming the headlights lol. Voltage stabilizer will also help. and a deep cycle did wonders for me in my 3rd gen. And I was running 2500 watts.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Not sound like a newb, but what the hell is the "big3"?

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
upgrading you ground wires (body and engine) and adding a better/bigger power wire going to your alternator (with a inline fuse), this improves you power flow all throughout

·
Registered
739 Posts
upgrading you ground wires (body and engine) and adding a better/bigger power wire going to your alternator (with a inline fuse), this improves you power flow all throughout
I've done the ground wires. Guess I need to do the power wire.

·
Registered
739 Posts
make sure you dont forget to add the wire not replace it and also an inline fuse to prevent a fire!!!
In the second or both?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Now back to the guy with the first question if it was me i would do the accord swap.
(1) more power
(2)you need a alt anyway why not upgrade

I would also get a cap, I was told you need one farad (however you spell it) per ever1000 watts. Also if you got the money it wont hurt to get a red cap batt.

·
Registered
739 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^
Spelled correctly. And yes if you need an alternator why not upgrade when you get an new one.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I wouldent worry to much about the batt. unless you need one. I never had a great one, just the cap and never had no problums. One other thing I wanted to add is to make sure you use the right size wires and make them short as possable. The size will make a world of diffence imo and the shorter the faster the power gets to the amp.:spinface:

·
Premium Member
16,911 Posts
OK you stereo gurus, let me add to this. Anytime you upgrade your electrical draw on your stock system it is advisable to upgrade your alternator and get another standalone battery.

The amount of draw a system beyond 300watts draws is tramendous and thus slowly kills your stock alternator because it was not designed to handle a power draw of such magnitude.

Get a 120+ amp alternator with your setup because that is a lot of power, so that your batteries will continue to charge and power all the other electrical components of your cars system.

A capacitory is only a short and temorary fix and will not solve the power drain issue from the charging system.

Ever wonder why all competition cars have upgraded alternators and batteries, because they know how much it takes to push that much power. You may not be in competition but for your daily driving needs, your system will draw all of the alternators power output that was supposed to supply to your cars electrical system, which leaves nothing left for charging your batteries to start the car.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
OK you stereo gurus, let me add to this. Anytime you upgrade your electrical draw on your stock system it is advisable to upgrade your alternator and get another standalone battery.

The amount of draw a system beyond 300watts draws is tramendous and thus slowly kills your stock alternator because it was not designed to handle a power draw of such magnitude.

Get a 120+ amp alternator with your setup because that is a lot of power, so that your batteries will continue to charge and power all the other electrical components of your cars system.

A capacitory is only a short and temorary fix and will not solve the power drain issue from the charging system.

Ever wonder why all competition cars have upgraded alternators and batteries, because they know how much it takes to push that much power. You may not be in competition but for your daily driving needs, your system will draw all of the alternators power output that was supposed to supply to your cars electrical system, which leaves nothing left for charging your batteries to start the car.

That is very true but imo this is not a very big system, and the 90 amp alt will do just fine with the other stuff i said. (like i said IMO im not a sterio pro) And why do you say a cap is only a temp fix?

·
Premium Member
16,911 Posts
That is very true but imo this is not a very big system, and the 90 amp alt will do just fine with the other stuff i said. (like i said IMO im not a sterio pro) And why do you say a cap is only a temp fix?
In one of my part time careers I used to sell stereo equipment. The capacitor is just to solve with the dimming lights, it does not solve the power drain from an amplifier. It is drawing more amps thus not charging the battery as it should.

We sold caps because every kid who wanted a big stereo to make it look pretty wanted it, but for the real stereo users, we sold them better batterys and higher amp alternators.

Most beginning stereo guys do not know how to properly power their highpowered systems. And when they insist on just going with a cap, we sold it to them, but they always come back for the extra batteries and alternator upgrades.
They got tired of killing their batteries and alternators.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
because a cap draws extra power and just puts it to the amp when its needed. then fills back up again. id think a cap would drain a battery faster.
but like sean said, the alternator isnt made for that much power. it wont charge the battery as fast as the system is draining it.

edit: seans answer is better. lol
it showed up after i posted.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Ok that makes sence to me. Well i change my reply get the alt and a better batt.
In my girlfriends mustang it would burn up the batt. alot But it had two w6's and 2 sony subs with a flipout dvd dash and gps and radar. I still think the accord alt and a good batt will due you good with what your running. etherway you will find out soon lol

p.s. i pmed you

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Ok that makes sence to me. Well i change my reply get the alt and a better batt.
In my girlfriends mustang it would burn up the batt. alot But it had two w6's and 2 sony subs with a flipout dvd dash and gps and radar. I still think the accord alt and a good batt will due you good with what your running. etherway you will find out soon lol

p.s. i pmed you
thats why. lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts