Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So where to start, I currently own a 91 SI 2.1 DOHC B21A1 lude.
Got some body damaged, basically a black eye on the driver side, it no longer forms to the conventional look. I proly need to take it to a body shop to hammer out the frame so i can get the sleek "no lights" look one day :/
so anyhelp with body posts would be cool BUT TO THE MAIN TOPIC

My alternator was devastated when my Power Steering(PS) pump puked PS fluid all over my alt... this happened maybe a year ago it work fine until a few months ago. Idk how but I think when the previous owner hit a "mailbox" he managed to pull out the resevior hose that leads to the elbow joint that feed to the main pump. I took off the pump and alternator today. Everything was basically heavily coated in A.PS Fluid B. Dirt, Grime, Oil or god knows what but black and sticky.. C. anything else that get shoved under a car while driving.

I plan on replacing my PS pump, I need a new High pressure PS hose, it leaks out of 2 sides that cross over my engine bay, it leaked all over my thermal connectors as well but those still work. I took pics of my alternator electical plugs will post later, but they are pretty corroded as well.

Is there anyway i can repair my already dead alternator, or should I just run to a junkyard and swap out my old one? AND is there a way i can clean the gunk out of my ALT electrical connector?

Sorry for long posts but a story always helps the resolutions.
NEW to the boards but I've learned much info here.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
**UPDATE**
Alternator works perfectly well, took some ALT/Starter cleaner to it, clean out the outside sprayed the inside, spun the rotor around a bit, bearing aren't clogged.
Clean the inside of my conduits and the copper screw so hopefully it conducts better. It passed 6/6 tests sooooo

ANY idea why it's still possibly not wanting to charge my battery? Could it be a wiring issue?

·
Bearderator
8,521 Posts
Something could possibly be drawing power, or the battery could be old.

Commonly mystery power drains are attributed to the "automatic" seat belt retractors. Usually the easiest way to test this is to find the appropriate fuse for the retractors and pull it out, then wait and see if your battery issues continue.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Usually there is no need to replace the PS pump but to simply put new seal in it, which is a very easy job. The lines aren't to bad to change out either. You may want to volunteer a friend to help snake it through. Then just add PS fluid and turn the wheel lock to lock (with car on) and keep adding fluid till its full. What test did the alternator pass? Your test or auto parts store test? Like xxfallacyxx said could be the battery or some kind of drain. Do you have any kind of aftermarket audio or security installed? Also check to make sure your grounds are clean and tight, and the make sure all other charging related circuits are good to go.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went to Autozone, they ran their machine on it. it produces current, and yeah i cleaned off one of the grounds that lead off of the ALT. Plan to clean my others soon. I took the radio out but it was aftermarket, so there is nothing to draw power unless the car is actually on. ONE THING though idk if this is a "unground current" but when i disconnected the radio, there is this one cable like a headphone jack that is just freely laying in my console. I think it connects to this other cable but IDK much for radios.

I'll see what i can do for the pump, it gonna be hard taking it apart if anything due to the rotor on it. it's a bitch to get off...

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
So where to start, I currently own a 91 SI 2.1 DOHC B21A1 lude.
Got some body damaged, basically a black eye on the driver side, it no longer forms to the conventional look. I proly need to take it to a body shop to hammer out the frame so i can get the sleek "no lights" look one day :/
so anyhelp with body posts would be cool BUT TO THE MAIN TOPIC

My alternator was devastated when my Power Steering(PS) pump puked PS fluid all over my alt... this happened maybe a year ago it work fine until a few months ago. Idk how but I think when the previous owner hit a "mailbox" he managed to pull out the resevior hose that leads to the elbow joint that feed to the main pump. I took off the pump and alternator today. Everything was basically heavily coated in A.PS Fluid B. Dirt, Grime, Oil or god knows what but black and sticky.. C. anything else that get shoved under a car while driving.

I plan on replacing my PS pump, I need a new High pressure PS hose, it leaks out of 2 sides that cross over my engine bay, it leaked all over my thermal connectors as well but those still work. I took pics of my alternator electical plugs will post later, but they are pretty corroded as well.

Is there anyway i can repair my already dead alternator, or should I just run to a junkyard and swap out my old one? AND is there a way i can clean the gunk out of my ALT electrical connector?

Sorry for long posts but a story always helps the resolutions.
NEW to the boards but I've learned much info here.
As for your powersteering line, you need my replacemente reroute line:

Here - Sticky: FS: 3rd gen Prelude - Powersteering Reroute lines (
1 2)
1funryd

Once you replace your old line with this one, you will not need another line again.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the look and all but i'm kinda skin and tooth atm... I'm just trying to get the girl going.. :/ Those lines are sexy though! XD

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bump? for any power steering leads that are a little bit more affordable

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Check rock auto for a wholesaler closeout. might get lucky. Although removing the hp line behind the engine is a bitch and a bitch to reinstall. If your going to keep your lude I would just save scratch and buy sean's line. As far as the ps pulley its bolt is left hand thread. The only bolt on the whole car that I know of that is left hand thread. So turn it clockwise to loosen and counter clockwise to tighten it. I made a pulley holder for mine with a welder but people replace them with out just harder.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
**UPDATE**
Alternator works perfectly well, took some ALT/Starter cleaner to it, clean out the outside sprayed the inside, spun the rotor around a bit, bearing aren't clogged.
Clean the inside of my conduits and the copper screw so hopefully it conducts better. It passed 6/6 tests sooooo

ANY idea why it's still possibly not wanting to charge my battery? Could it be a wiring issue?
Make sure all you're ground are bolted up nice and tight especially the positive and negative wires connecting from the fuse box to the battery. I had the same problem and it was cause it one of those was loose and kept draining my battery.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
bump? for any power steering leads that are a little bit more affordable
I have a OEM P/S line I bought from eBay a whole ago but I never used it cause I was too lazy to put my P/S system back on. Plus now I have a SS line from Danktank. I could sell you the OEM one it's in good condition. Pm If interested. I'll let it go for cheap.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
yeah that black painted metal hardline is part of the oem hp ps line. Your danktank line doesn't need it and bypass it.

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
Yeah the difference between my line and Danks is that I use the OEM lines to keep things as close to stock as possible while maintaining OEM usefullness.
And the front pump bracket is modified with a new hardline and welded fitting for ease of use to connect and disconnect.

The vynil coated SS lines are no longer in production, so we cant get them. So its just SS line without vynil coating.

Well Heres the pic of my Danktank SS P/S line. Thanks for the info once again cuda.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I did check rockauto.com to the original poster. They did have a line that was made by some no name company. It was on wholesaler closeout for $15.13 or the likes. I don't know if it would last long or even if it would fit correctly. But if your realy pinching pennys you might consider it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts