Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally i thought the problem was the imfamous old relay. This weekend i resoldered all the points on the relay and put it back in the car.
This morning i'm doin about 60mph down the highway to get my son to daycare and bang the car flat out turns off...

Keep in mind it's still in gear and it's not jumping itself back on.

I pull over and try to restart and it just cranks and cranks.

This has happened 20 times now but i figured with the relay being resoldered it wouldn't happen anymore.

If i wait 5 minutes i can restart the car with no problems.
Anyone have any idea where i need to start?
It seems as though it's either not getting fuel or not getting spark.

Is there any good way to test this? It only happens once in a while so if i'm sitting in my driveway i can't recreate the problem...
It happens randomly so i can't pinpoint the problem...

Thanks in advance guys,
Danny

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't know there was such a thing.

There are a few things i need to do still, check the cap and rotor mainly but i can't see that causing all four cylinders to not fire.
I'm wondering if my Jacobs Ignition is effed up somehow... but it wouldn't make sense that waiting 5 minutes would allow the car to start...

Thanks moto, i'll take a look around for a spark tester.

Danny

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
danny,

sounds like something is heating up and seperating.. is it possible some fuse is broken and seperated a little and when it heats up looses the connection then cools off enough to start? it sounds electrical to me.. most of the real random things are from my limited experience..

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OOOhhh i kinda like the sound of that.

The thing is it's completely random... i can go for days with no problems then all of a sudden it'll do it three times in a row.
I'll check some stuff tonight, it could very well be the ignition fuse in the underhood fusebox.
Those big bastards!
Thanks Scotty,

Danny

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
I agree on the heat thing. I had an old camaro that would die after the exhaust got hot enough to fuse some wiring to it. As soon as the exhaust cooled down, it'd start right back up. So check for wiring around things that get hot...

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Something to keep in mind is that there are more problems with the main relays then just the solders, the contacts also wear out, and the coils inside them can overheat.

Next time the car quits, do the main relay test (turn key to on, listen for fuel pump, listen for a click when the CEL goes out, two seconds after you turn the key to "on'0

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok...

Bobby, i do that every time i start my car. I turn it to on and wait for the click then try to start.
In the morning i can hear the fuel flowing through the lines but once i'm on the Highway it's harder to hear.
Would it intermittantly kill as i'm driving? and if so what is the reason that 5 minutes later it would start working again?

Come to think of it my ride has 165k on it so it's very possible the relay has seen better days.
It just confuses the hell out of me that it does it randomly then it works after 5 minutes of waiting...

Thanks man, lemme know what you think cuz if that would fix it i'll buy one right now.
Danny

And found a guy that had the part number for the two relays inside the relay casing.
NTE part # R52-1D40-12
Google that and you'll find them, they're out of stock right now but i'm gonna order two of them as they're only 3 bucks a piece and see if this works.
It's definetly the relay that's giving me trouble there's no question in my mind now.
Thank you all for your help!!!
Danny

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
It may well be worth trying, heat related no-restarts are a classic relay problem on many cars.

I can't say "YES thats the problem!" because i can't actually mess with the car myself, but that would be the first thing i'd check.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think i referred to you as the god of all things prelude...

That title still stands for sure!
Thanks again man i'm gonna order these NTE part # R52-1D40-12 and see what happens. Only like 15 bucks with shipping from cali!
Danny

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
My fuel pump main relay would die while I was driving and, of course, when starting. Do what Bobnova says.

You can also leave the relay hanging under the dash. When it dies, bitchslap the relay around. This is the same as tapping the starter solenoid to coax it to make a good connection. I've taken my relay COMPLETELY apart and cleaned the contacts with a "points file". Works like a charm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts