Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a friendly reminder. With non stoping elevations in rising petroleum prices, i know that there are some luders grining at the pump, i do. 91 oct. is about $3.15 a gallon by me. so.CA. im not sure else where, but here are some tips:

1. Take your foot off the gas completely for at least a few seconds before shutting off the engine. Don't rev the engine just before turning it off. It might sound cool to listen to it die like that, but you're shooting raw gas through the system. Yeah, the same gas you paid for a few minutes ago.

It might help to remember that at $3.00 a gallon, a wasted pint of gas costs you 38 cents. If you manage to waste a pint a day (and that's not hard to do), that's $11.40 a month. In a couple months or so, you get a "free" tank of gas. Not bad for just doing the things you know you should do anyway, is it?

2.Low tire pressure will make the tires drag and use more gas. Look in your owners' manual and see what the recommended tire pressures are. Add two pounds to that number. That will add about 1 mile per gallon. Check them every time you gas up. Think of it as adding an extra ½ gallon to your tank for free.

3.Keeping your engine well tuned is another good way to stretch your gas dollar. An engine that grinds for ten seconds before firing up wastes enough gas to take you two miles. Maybe it's time for a new set of spark plugs and a new air filter. Now is a good time to go get them. Also have a mechanic bump the timing a degree or two if possible.

just some helpful hints from a fellow 5th gen.
* Good things come to those who wait. But better things happen to those who try.*

·
Registered
468 Posts
good advise. If i was concerned about gas milage, I wouldn't race. I am at 7220 ft, and I only get 16mpg city

·
Registered
708 Posts
i just can't help it, i love shifting at 4k, my new v2 sounds awesome!!!

and vtec engagment on a v2 is so much better!!

M

·
0 Posts
i can't get out of the pedel, guess that's just me though... welcome to PP :)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mikeyslude said:
i can't get out of the pedel, guess that's just me though... welcome to PP :)
me too. but when you remember you can actually save some dough for other, more wanted items!:)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
citizeninsane said:
i keep my pressure around 44-45 psi on 205/50 r16 (oem)
WOW...44-45 PSI? It says 32psi on the door guy...btw I redline it in first gear almost everyday (2-3 times),only drive in city and fill up about every week and I still get about 18/19mpg,What are you guys getting?

·
Registered
297 Posts
i have not checked my tire pressure yet, i have not dont a valve adjustment yet...and i plan on doing these things

but im getting around 22-25 mpg

B

·
0 Posts
My commute is a lot of stop and go traffic and I like to race when I can find clear stretches of road. I'm getting about 17-18 mpg average. That's with premium, which is either 92 or 93 octane here in Houston.

When I moved here 10 months ago, Chevron premium was $2.05/gallon. Now it's $3.00! Cheap gas was the only consolation I got for having to live in Texas, now it just sucks here across the board.

·
Registered
260 Posts
45 psi is way too much. Keep it around 32-35 psi.

·
HipHopHeadd
1,339 Posts
citizeninsane said:
i keep my pressure around 44-45 psi on 205/50 r16 (oem)
That is pretty damn high. I think MAX psi is 44, so be careful.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
shinjimae said:
WOW...44-45 PSI? It says 32psi on the door guy...btw I redline it in first gear almost everyday (2-3 times),only drive in city and fill up about every week and I still get about 18/19mpg,What are you guys getting?
typeo 34-35 psi :oops:

·
Registered
47 Posts
oh lol, this is my favorite ! my car runs about 18 -23 mpg. i got a major tune up . and still the same. with 40 psi or less. especially if weather is hot and 45 psi. wow. i dont know.

·
Registered
260 Posts
H22QT said:
oh lol, this is my favorite ! my car runs about 18 -23 mpg. i got a major tune up . and still the same. with 40 psi or less. especially if weather is hot and 45 psi. wow. i dont know.
Uh, what? My '97 gets 27/30 consistently. I keep my tires @ 35 psi. You guys are overinflating your tires @ 40+ psi.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
H22QT said:
18-23? thats pretty low. well it all depends on how you drive. i could uynderstand 18-23 if you were launchin at every stop. by the way the 44-45 i wrote is completely a typeo. the original message should state about 34-35 psi but i was not paying attention. 44 psi is the tire max, and then with a little heat, BOOM!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts