Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently lowered my car 1.5 inches in the front and 1 inch in the back. I took it to Kal Tire to try to get an alignment done but they said that since the car was lowered, they couldnt do it because their sensors couldnt read it or something. Does anyone know where I could get it aligned?

·
Administrator
17,736 Posts
Call around to other places and ask. How are we supposed to know what shops are located around where you live?

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
HottNikkels said:
I recently lowered my car 1.5 inches in the front and 1 inch in the back. I took it to Kal Tire to try to get an alignment done but they said that since the car was lowered, they couldnt do it because their sensors couldnt read it or something. Does anyone know where I could get it aligned?
Try Discount Tire Co. or find a local performance shop. I am sure someone does lowered cars alignment.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
lmao, they wouldnt do an alignment cuz your car is lowered? thast a bunch of BS. never get a car aligned there ever again.

UNLESS the only reason they said they couldnt align it is cuz you dont have a camber kit for it. then that would make sense, cuz when they do an alignment they adjust the camber and toe-in. and if the camber cant be set properly, then the other aspects of the alignment cant be adjusted properly. well, it can, but your tires will still wear unevenly, and they dont want to be responsible for that.

if you dont have a camber kit, get one. then get the alignment

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
You shouldn't really need a camber kit for that little bit of a drop....I haven't had a problem on mine.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
motoxxxman said:
lmao, they wouldnt do an alignment cuz your car is lowered? thast a bunch of BS. never get a car aligned there ever again.

UNLESS the only reason they said they couldnt align it is cuz you dont have a camber kit for it. then that would make sense,
Could just be the case that the sensors can't see across the car now due to the front lip or whatever obscuring the line of sight.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
hey guys, im lookin to get my springs n shocks n camber kit tomorrow... i want to install right away. I know i can install them, but my question is... do i need to get an alignment right away? or can i run it around for a little. my dad is a mechanic, so i think he could set it somehow. also, if anyone has any specs for alignment? if there is such a thing for a person to do manually... please, feel free to post them. cuz i want this bitch droppppped shes on 17s and looks like a freakin 4x4

·
Administrator
17,736 Posts
You should get it done right away, but dont have to. I think I drove a week or 2 after dropping my lude before I was able to get it aligned, no biggie

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
at a 1.5" drop, you'll be fine. driveway alignments are hard to do. There are tools available to do it, but you need to do it on a perfectly level surface. You'd be better off just waiting until you can put in a camber kit, then go get it done professionally. With a mild drop, you'll have plenty of time to get to it.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
by mild i mean.. race spring lol. the camber kit and springs are here tomorrow.. or so UPS says, so race springs will i be alright. my dad perfectly aligned the 1940 ford sedan that we have... and that has all original parts on it. we did that in our gar-ra-hay

·
Registered
750 Posts
i read somewere on here that if you drop it more then 2" thats when you need a camber kit and an alignment. i think 1.5 is good enough to let it sit. just keep an eye on your tread level on the inside of the tire. go pick yourself up a tread guage at your local parts store and keep a really close eye on it.

·
Preludepower Member
2,656 Posts
I have a camber kit.
Lowered 1.8 inches on 14 inch rims.
I went to two places, both said no.
Wakness.

Steve, good looks on the info...anyone know where in New York? 5 boroughs perhaps or Long Island?

·
Registered
341 Posts
My lude is lowered on neuspeed sports, (for those that dont know 1.8 f/r) and I aligned mine myself at work no problem. Only thing was she scraped pretty good in the middle as I was driving it up the ramps. Trust me try to find somebody to do an alignment, especially if you have 4ws, my toe and camber numbers were beyond whacked out. It can definately without a doubt be done, the shop is probably worried about damaging your car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I lowered 2.5in the front and almost 3 in the rear. No camber kit and the aligner just gave it a little more toe in. OK, it has 3.5 degrees of camber right round, but it handles well. tyre wear isn't too bad. I've done about 15000k on my 18s, and they still look good.

·
Registered
840 Posts
yeah i dont know wheter or not ANY amount lowered would require you to realign your wheels...but mine went down 1.7"front and 1.5"back, and so far ive put about 2kmiles on the tires about 90% thread and NO sign of wear so far i think ill be good to stay like that since it feels like its on frekin rails now, and yes the front camber being off is barely visible ....

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
a 1940 ford sedan's suspension and a honda double-wishbone suspension are like canoes and nuclear subs. A '40 ford uses a solid front axle with kingpins, so you pretty much only have to worry about adjusting toe at the endlinks, unless the axle is bent or something. You can align a '40 ford with a tape measure. You can get the prelude into the ballpark, but if you want it perfect, you should take it in to have it done precisely.

But then, I had my car slammed on cheap coilovers for a while before I got the tokicos and didn't notice any wierd shakes or pulling or uneven tire wear. The suspension is pretty well designed and can deal with it, I guess.

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
scyclone said:
yeah i dont know wheter or not ANY amount lowered would require you to realign your wheels...

wow... :dontgetit:
any change in ride height is going to change your alignment.
thats just common sense (or should be :| )

1 - 18 of 18 Posts