Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I recently bought an 86si that is in surprisingly good condition... I've given it the quick once over and everything seems to be runnign well except for this annoying red light on the dash.... you guessed it.. the ALB light. Oh and the park brake light... sorry the "e-brake".

What happens is that I can start her up and take it for a drive around the block no problems but it seems that as soon as I hit the breaks both lights come on and I can guarantee they weren't on before! I'm stumped!

No before someone says "common noob.. do a search" I promise you I have. I've even looked through the workshop manual and it's all bloody greek to me (ie - don't have a clue!).

I'm sure someone else has had this problem.. I'd greatly appreciate any help on this. It's the last thing I need to do before I get this car registered and on the road so I can work on my 83 properly!

Thanks!
Zaahir

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Have you checked the brake light bulbs ?!

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
thats going to be a tough one as ALB was never offered on 2ng gens in the US I would have to had ALB but if I had to guess if the e-brake light was on first and after driveing the ALB light came on then it's because the ALB computer thinks your driveing with the e-brake on! first check the brake fluid level if full disconnect the plug on the cap if the light goes out that your problem.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Hi Guys,

I recently bought an 86si that is in surprisingly good condition... I've given it the quick once over and everything seems to be runnign well except for this annoying red light on the dash.... you guessed it.. the ALB light. Oh and the park brake light... sorry the "e-brake".

What happens is that I can start her up and take it for a drive around the block no problems but it seems that as soon as I hit the breaks both lights come on and I can guarantee they weren't on before! I'm stumped!

No before someone says "common noob.. do a search" I promise you I have. I've even looked through the workshop manual and it's all bloody greek to me (ie - don't have a clue!).

I'm sure someone else has had this problem.. I'd greatly appreciate any help on this. It's the last thing I need to do before I get this car registered and on the road so I can work on my 83 properly!

Thanks!
Zaahir
thats going to be a tough one as ALB was never offered on 2ng gens in the US I would have to had ALB but if I had to guess if the e-brake light was on first and after driveing the ALB light came on then it's because the ALB computer thinks your driveing with the e-brake on! first check the brake fluid level if full disconnect the plug on the cap if the light goes out that your problem.
that makes alot of sense bro, i was just thinking of telling him that same thing! lol! Oh well ya beat me too it, anyway that should be your problem, or was the car driving alot before you bought it?

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Further info...

Thanks for the suggestions guys..

I've made sure all the lights are working so that's not the problem. I'll do some check's on the brake fluid suggestion. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Either way I'll let you guys know. It does make sense that the computer thinks the e-brake is on so I'll have to wait and see.

So anyway, the car was just sitting in this guys garage for over 6 months because he got married and bought a Landcruiser... I know... what a clown!... Anyway, he said it was running fine before and I do believe him. Will post up some pics soon. tha is, once I figure out how!

Again, thanks fellas.. Keep the suggestions coming.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
As stereo suuggests....
So next would be to check the handbrake switch and fluid level.
those things can cause both warning lights to come on.
The ALB light comes on even if there is no problem with the actual ALB itself if the other one is triggered.

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey! i have a land cruiser ;p

anyways, good luck with the car.
Ha ha ha.. yeah, wasn't dissin the land cruiser.. just strange how people get married and buy "sensible" cars.. I'm married and have 2 2nd gen ludes!

·
Registered
352 Posts
That's cool i was just joking, I have a prelude also and love it, in fact the cruiser isn't insured at the moment. The nice thing about the cruiser is though is that it is worth more now than when my dad bought it in '88. They are one of the few cars that increases in value, in fact pretty much the older they are the more they're worth. One down the street from me just sold and was a '78 and they were asking $12,800. Both cool vehicles though. Honda and Toyota FTW.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
If your ALB is broken like that it can be a real trouble to sort it out, the only definate thing really is getting Honda to do it but that will cost a lot,

There is a european workshop manual i got from somewhere which details the ALB but it might be easier to swap to non ALB its quite easy just swap the front hard lines swap the master cylinder and put on a proportioning valve.

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If your ALB is broken like that it can be a real trouble to sort it out, the only definate thing really is getting Honda to do it but that will cost a lot,

There is a european workshop manual i got from somewhere which details the ALB but it might be easier to swap to non ALB its quite easy just swap the front hard lines swap the master cylinder and put on a proportioning valve.
Thanks 3gcvc...

I haven't had the chance to try all the suggestions.. will give it a try in the next couple of days when the Mrs gives me 15 minutes to myself! ha ha ha... I know a guy who knows a guy who may be able to help me but the problem is I've gotta get the car to his shop first... that means I need registration to drive it and can't get the registration if this light keeps flashing.. see my dilema?

Anyhoo. Will keep you guys updated on the progress... if I get it working i'll do a writeup.. maybe.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
i know exactlt wat it is most pre 93 hondas have that problem is the sensors more then likly about 895 likly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts