Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just got my 98 SH and it came with what i think is an alarm, the Viper clicker unlocks and locks the car and sounds as an alarm would but theres one problem, i thought that if i had the alarm on and i tapped the car or whatever it would go off but it didnt and i tryed pulling on the handle but i got nothin, the only time the alarm went off was wen i had it on and i just put the key in to open the door and opened the door before turning the alarm off, now i dont know really anything about alarms, but is this an alarm or just like a panic alarm kind of thing?

thanks
orbs

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Im guessing the old owner just bought the basic alarm package.....

You can add options on to alarms so it protects more things. Some items you can add on are proximetry sensors (these detect someone walking upto the car and it sets off a warning so they don't get close look that up on youtube, cool..)

There are things called tilt sensors that help against people towing your car/stealing your wheels.....

The most common add on is the shock sensor. And i know with mine, i can set it on how sensative it is.... http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-alarm2.htm

Look up and under your steering wheel and you should see a mess of wires and an alarm 'brain', its a little black box usually.... And maybe you also have a blinking status light that blinks when the alarm is armed...

But in a nutshell i think your alarm works but it doesn't have any of those options added onto it...

edit - here is a good listing of various add ons just to get the idea - http://www.commandocaralarms.com/info_car_alarm_accessories.asp

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey guys, I just got my 98 SH and it came with what i think is an alarm, the Viper clicker unlocks and locks the car and sounds as an alarm would but theres one problem, i thought that if i had the alarm on and i tapped the car or whatever it would go off but it didnt and i tryed pulling on the handle but i got nothin, the only time the alarm went off was wen i had it on and i just put the key in to open the door and opened the door before turning the alarm off, now i dont know really anything about alarms, but is this an alarm or just like a panic alarm kind of thing?

thanks
orbs
It sounds like they turned down the sensor for the shock or just did keylocks on a basic alarm. Find the brain and look it up to see what you can add to it. My alarm for example doesn't go off if you mess with the door handles but if you hit it, it will chirp at you.

In all reality from what I learned here, shock sensor is kind of useless. And if your alarm is just a basic installed alarm, I would either do the following:

1. Leave it alone since it can be disabled fast enough anyway by thieves.
2. Rewire it and move the brain elsewhere and add some tilt accessories or battery backup. Make it a semi or full stealth.
3. Install a new one.

In my example, I did a new one and did a semi stealth. Wasn't too hard. Just time consuming.

·
Registered
286 Posts
there probaly is a shock sensor. most name brand alarms come with a shock sensor. the sensitivity is probably turned way down. take your fist and with the pinky side of your fist smack the shit out of your windshield in the upper corner. start with liitle force then slightly increase the force you use. this is generally how installers test for sensitivity. obviously if someone is going to break a window to steal your shit they are going to hit it pretty hard in the window unless they know how to do it the right way. most crooks are the smash and grab type and are sloppy so just check into it by poking your head around under the dash and beat on the car a little without damaging it of course.
Posted via Mobile

1 - 4 of 4 Posts