Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I own a 1989 2.0 SI and I need a new air compressor. Can anyone offer a recommendation for where to buy one? They seem pretty easy to find online in the US, but I would a recommendation to a quality place.

(I need a business that can ship to Canada with UPS or FedEx.)

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hi all,

I own a 1989 2.0 SI and I need a new air compressor. Can anyone offer a recommendation for where to buy one? They seem pretty easy to find online in the US, but I would a recommendation to a quality place.

(I need a business that can ship to Canada with UPS or FedEx.)

Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Gorstak,

Thanks for sharing this video. I like the idea of saving 50% on the compressor. Sadly, fabricating a new bracket to accommodate this part is outside my skill set. If I have to a buy a refurbished Prelude compressor, is a there a place you can recommend? Is this one for RockAuto good? More Information for FOUR SEASONS 57494

(It seems kind of expensive but I don't want to get stuck importing a cheaper one to Montreal and than finding out it's not good.)

Thanks!
–Joel

·
Premium Member
16,688 Posts
Just so you know the reconditioned ac compressors tend to fail early. For this reason, it is recommended to go with the B series ac compressor swap.

You can take your chances but no one can give you reassurances about the reconditioned ac compressors in the US.

If you need help getting a part here in the US and then shipped to you, I have done this for some members in the past.

Email me: [email protected]

To discuss.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. Now that I'm looking into the complexity of a compressor swap and the cost of importing a reconditioned one, I think I'll have to hold off until next spring to make this upgrade! I have rust I that should likely take a higher priority on my lude list.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
The correct compressor type for the 3rd Gen is the Sanden TR70. If you can't find it, check compatibility.

I just bought a reman Sanden compressor that I'm installing on my car during the restoration. I also installed heat deflection tape on the compressor shield for added heat protection since it sits right next to the exhaust manifold.

Recommended things to do when replacing the compressor to ensure long life are: Replacing the expansion valve, receiver drier, all the O-rings for the ac lines and evaporator.

It's a hassle but at least you cover everything. Don't reuse the existing receiver drier or expansion valve with new compressor.
Screenshot_20200701-162803_Video Player.jpg

·
Registered
363 Posts
The correct compressor type for the 3rd Gen is the Sanden TR70. If you can't find it, check compatibility.

I just bought a reman Sanden compressor that I'm installing on my car during the restoration. I also installed heat deflection tape on the compressor shield for added heat protection since it sits right next to the exhaust manifold.

Recommended things to do when replacing the compressor to ensure long life are: Replacing the expansion valve, receiver drier, all the O-rings for the ac lines and evaporator.

It's a hassle but at least you cover everything. Don't reuse the existing receiver drier or expansion valve with new compressor. View attachment 27813
Is your car series 2 91 B21A ?

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
I think it only fit with B21A. It does not fit to 88-89 Series 1, unless swapping with 91 bracket. :)
Yup looks to be the case Preface used Matsushita compressors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts