Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lude's seem to be very well aerodynamically designed, but Im wondering if anyone knows how much drag the rain guards behind the front and rear tires (mud flaps) create at high speeds. The way they stick out behind the rear wheels especially cause they catch the wind like a parachute. I know of a story where a friend of mine took his rear bumper off for repair, broke the clips so instead had to put some screws in it underneath... and the bumper got ripped off when he was driving 60mph down the road cause of how the rain guards were like scoops creating resistince. Basically I want my car to go faster with top end- the fastest I had her was 142mph and Im wondering if I take the guards off if she will go faster, has anyone done this b4?

·
Registered
675 Posts
My only complaint on aerodynamics on these is water in driver side from wiper. I actually try to avoid rain though and only been in heavy rain one time.

I know around 80 my lude revs 4g. If ever a car needed a 6th gear it is these. Honda screwed the pouch on that. My bike is about the same in 5th and a lot cheaper to rebuild. I have 10x more fun hitting the limiter on it off road. You don't need to go 142 on a public road. The questions you are asking tell me that.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only complaint on aerodynamics on these is water in driver side from wiper. I actually try to avoid rain though and only been in heavy rain one time.

I know around 80 my lude revs 4g. If ever a car needed a 6th gear it is these. Honda screwed the pouch on that. My bike is about the same in 5th and a lot cheaper to rebuild. I have 10x more fun hitting the limiter on it off road. You don't need to go 142 on a public road. The questions you are asking tell me that.
i know I dont I never said I was on a public road

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
You never said you weren't. And if you aren't, why wouldn't you just take the mudflaps off and try? It's not exactly a lot of work to remove them.

Regardless, yeah, the car is probably a bit more aerodynamic without the mudflaps. Not hugely, because the length of car behind the wheels isn't long enough for flow to reattach anyways. The flaps sit in very turbulent air behind the wheels. I would not expect your v-max to increase noticeably. For a better answer, look at an actual forum on aerodynamics i.e. ecomodder.

The next low hanging fruit for improving aero is the passenger side mirror. Most jurisdictions only require 2 mirrors, one in the car and one outside. I have removed it and replaced with a blanking plate on two older Hondas and noticed both cars were quieter afterward.

Also see the current trend in Time Attack of trimming the back bumper.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't expect much, if anything, from removing your mud flaps for "top end speed". At 142mph, you're pretty much at the limit of what the car will do mechanically anyway- it's not like removing your flaps will give the car the capability to rev higher and carry you to a higher speed.

Side note, why in the world would you need to go 140mph in a Prelude, let alone a stock one?

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't expect much, if anything, from removing your mud flaps for "top end speed". At 142mph, you're pretty much at the limit of what the car will do mechanically anyway- it's not like removing your flaps will give the car the capability to rev higher and carry you to a higher speed.

Side note, why in the world would you need to go 140mph in a Prelude, let alone a stock one?

Realistically if you care that much about the mud flaps the car's already been flat bottomed and lowered, along with a host of other things. You'd first be aiming for more power, second in shedding weight, and third with aero.

You'd also be dealing with the fact that the transmissions available usually quit around 150 indicated in 5th gear, but again, by that point, you've already figured out what gear ratios you want to run and picked from one of the 9000 transmissions that fit these cars. I'd guess an accord trans and a ton of power.

Now, that said, the hypermile crowd does do a bunch of stuff, even to the point of removing mirrors and shaving them. For that it might be worth experimenting with, but the reality is there's other stuff you could do rather than worry about mudflaps to improve MPG.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts