Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Lord Magnum
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
advice on purchase (now with crappy pics [1st post])

http://montana.craigslist.org/ctd/975711532.html

Is it worth it? A friend of mine is looking at buying it, and he's been looking for a 3g for a long time. Most of the time we find them, they're either overpriced, or in shit condition. We went and looked at it today, and the body is in good shape - little to no visible rust, and I didn't see any around the wheel wells. I should have took pictures (wow, I just now realized I had my camera in my pocket the whole time)

It's white and looks pretty much stock all the way around. One or two junkyard runs for some trim pieces and such, and a few hours cleaning it up and I think it would be pretty nice overall.

The fella' seems to be selling it because he's at his wit's end about getting it running. I can't vouch for his skills, but if someone spends hours and hours on it and gives up, it doesn't bode to well for us. Is there anything you guys can suggest we look into before considering the purchase? The carfax came up pretty good, (thanks mackie) but this is my friends first solo purchase, and he doesn't want to get stuck with a car that we cant get running.

Addendum: Oh yeah, there was not a battery in it today so I could not verify that it cranks but doesn't spark. If we go back, we will take a battery with us.

edit: Pics of Nokturnal's new Lude.
Sorry they aren't best quality, I was in rush and heavily medicated from arm surgery.

So yeah, he bought it. As soon as we get it moved and settled we will likely be needing some help troubleshooting. Thanks to those who commented, and who will be guiding us in the future.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yeah, bring a battery and bring a spare spark plug see if it does actually spark, the guy could just be guessing that spark is the problem. Why would he replace all the gaskets, bearings etc if they weren't necessary?

See if you can find out some more about the engine work he's done, sounds a bit fishy imo. But that's just me :D For the price, seems alright though, especially if it's just spark. Perhaps you could also bring a pressure reader, and make sure each cylinder holds pressure, when you crank it.

·
blubyu
390 Posts
buy that baby, at 500 the 4ws is prob worth that alone because is getting harder everday to find one especially oem. Plus if there slim to no body work envolved that cuts your cost way down.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
$500 is a steal for any decent 3rd gen. worst case scenario if he gets in over his head he can part it out. On a quick part out you could get a couple hundred a piece for the motor, trans, 4ws and shell and end up with more than $500. I say buy it.

·
Me+you+your friend=fun
1,547 Posts
Are you and your friend somewhat mechanically inclined?

Ehh I would still buy it regardless. Offer him $400 and take it.:p

Does he have any receipts for the supposed parts he replaced?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
$500!!!!!! I would jump on that in a heart beat just for the 4ws alone. I bet it's something easy to fix on the motor.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Offer him $300. It's a good deal if you can get it running. Well since you are going back out there take pictures. :)

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
I would jump on that one myself if I was a little closer, lol. Definitely worth it even if you have to replace the engine if everything else is in good condition. Is it auto or manual?

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
i would definitely buy it too.

possible reasons why it wont start:
timing belt not on right
distributor and/or cam sensor installed in wrong position
main relay
ground not connected
valve lash not set properly
or it could have an actual ignition problem

·
Lord Magnum
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I am pretty mechanical, and if I hade the time and money I would have bought it. My friend,not so much, which is why he is turning to me for help here. I'm thinking he should go for it, too.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
i would definitely buy it too.

possible reasons why it wont start:
timing belt not on right
distributor and/or cam sensor installed in wrong position
main relay
ground not connected
valve lash not set properly
or it could have an actual ignition problem
wanna bet on that? lol;-)
or the coil plug isnt hooked up.
that just happened to me..

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
buy buy buy! a no rust, 4ws, decent interior 3gp id worth it! just low ball the guy he probably doesnt know what the hell hes got

and your welcome on the report. glad i can help with a fellow luder or a soon to be luder!

·
Registered
836 Posts
montana eh? i can be there in less than 8 hours, if you don't buy it, i will :D

kidding of course, but seriously, do it, or convince your friend too

·
Registered
286 Posts
congrats on the purchase. even though its not yours i have this feeling youll be buried elbow deep in its engine bay.
Posted via Mobile

1 - 20 of 28 Posts