Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, could use some advice as I am looking at a 2001 Prelude with 83,000 miles on it. I haven't made my way to see it in person and am debating whether to do it or just drop it off the bat. The car has had 1 owner and passed away so his wife is the one selling it and ultimately for a bargain price, supposedly has been garage kept, zero mechanical or electrical issues, no accidents, and paint is in perfect condition.

Overall it sounds like a no-brainer however the biggest issue I see is that it's an automatic transmission Prelude. I admit I don't have much cash to shell out on repairs or a 5spd swap anytime soon but if it really is all it's cracked up to be should I still get it?

·
Administrator
6,675 Posts
If the price is right and the auto shifts fine for now, drive it until you're able to properly swap. Keep in mind it's an older car and at some point only due to age will need maintenance such as timing belt/water pump, tires, misc hoses etc.

I'd hop on it even with a bad trans for the right price (if I were financially in position to)

·
Registered
711 Posts
At 83k on the odometer the A/T shouldn't be too bad as far as wear/tear. Your going to find to many manual shift models out there, especially with less than a 100k on the odometer. I've owned 2 5thgen models, the first was an Automatic Shift and I loved that car. My trans spring a leak after accidentally jumping a huge speed bump, my foot slipped on the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal. The trans case actually hit the speed bump and 10 minutes later I smelled ATF. When I got home I put a giant piece of cardboard underneath the transmission area to find a slow drip. Anyway 2 years later I sold that 1999 Base model and found a 1999 Nordic Mist Base model with a factory born Manual Shift, Black Leather interior and factory spoiler added at Original purchase. I got it from the original owner, the original owner had all the service documents from day 1 and even included the original window sticker. I even have the factory baby seat anchors. It was worth the wait to find what I really wanted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts