Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, my transmission is out again for the 3rd time(made a post couple of weeks ago). We found a manual prelude, with everything in it, except the transmission/engine. One of the guys that work at the junkyard (installed a h22 motor with an h23 trans into his civic). So he's "sorta" knowledgeable.

He told me that the accord tranny will fit/bolt into my prelude with no problems. I did some searching and on Rompirates list and other sources, it only shows 3 that will fit, 2 JDMs (SiR and SiR-T) and one Euro (Type R) Accord having compatible trannies. Is this true? that these are the only accord M.T. That will fit the 5th gen?

tl:dr

is it true only imported accord manual transmissions fit the 5th gen prelude? No USDMs will fit? because the guy in junkyard said the one they have there should be fine.

i guess a swap is finally coming along, after all these years of stress with the SS...

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any F or H series transmission (minus ATTS or S2K trannies) will mate to the base model H22A4.
hey! thanks for such a fast response!

but looking at the list, it doesn't show any USDM accords that will fit. I guess I'm asking if there are american accords that are "F or H", he just said he had a manual accord tranny there and it should bolt up. I'm pretty sure its not JDM or EUDM...

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
on wikipedia i just found this. So is this confirmation? That we do have American Accords with trannies that should mate right up with the 5th gen?

F23A1

This engine was used in the 1998-2002 Honda Accord LX, EX, and SE, and in the Acura 2.3CL in North America.
Specifications

• Bore × Stroke: 86.0 × 97.0 mm
  • Displacement: 2254 cc
  • Valve Configuration: SOHC, 16 valves, VTEC
  • Compression ratio: 9.3:1
  • Max power: 150 hp (112 kW) @ 5700 rpm
  • Max torque: 152 ft·lbf (205 N m) @ 4900 rpm

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Any F or H series transmission (minus ATTS or S2K trannies) will mate to the base model H22A4.
^^^ This!

I should probably edit my writeup, I have a pretty small list there, there are plenty more that will fit.

BTW: it'll fit but gearing might be ass.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
^^ That list (created by me) is just a list of interchangeable PRELUDE transmissions with a few highly sought-after Accord transmissions. It is by no means the full list of possibilities. The reason there aren't other Accord transmissions is because their gearing sucks for our cars.

Eventually, I'll make an F-series list.

·
Registered
966 Posts
SINCE ACCORD and Perlude are very similar..their transmission suck just as bad as the lude.

My brother-inlaw 00 accord tranny went out before mine at 98k miles.

·
Bearderator
8,519 Posts
SINCE ACCORD and Perlude are very similar..their transmission suck just as bad as the lude.

My brother-inlaw 00 accord tranny went out before mine at 98k miles.
Honda automatics SUCK. Honda manuals are FTW.

OP: As others have said, any F or H series transmission will bolt right up (ATTS or S2K EXCLUDED).

The reason those three Accords were listed is because they have sportier gearing, which is more similar to the stock prelude gearing. Other F series compatible transmissions are geared for family cars, choosing MPG of acceleration. Keep it in mind, and GL!

·
Registered
518 Posts
My buddy is using an f22 tranny from a 90-93 accord with his h22a.
i'm using a f20a4 transmission from my bb9.
a bit shorter than the tranny on the h22, but still, it drops below vtec when shifting from 1st to 2nd. (rest of gears is just perfect).
the f20a4 has just a shorter final drive, as well as the f22.

the ATR has the shortest gears of all you can put on a prelude. i know a guy that did it and it revs much faster than mine. his top speed is 210km/h, 20 less than on mine. mean the ATR has shorter gears and a shorter final drive. still, the ATR has intermediate driveshafts while the bb9 has pretty smaller in diameter and lighter shafts.

basically, i think any tranny is better than on the stock h22. (of course, if we are talking of acceleration over top speed and dont give a f** about cruising with a car that heavy)

some say ATR tranny is also more resistant than the tranny of a f22.

also, that guy i mentioned above has an USDM h22 engine and the tranny is from a EUDM accord. so vice-versa should work also.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
My friend here has an f22 trans on his h22 in a 5th gen. His username is dye4paintball21 or something like that. So yah it will work but it has taller gearing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have a p2a8 on my h22a. its kinda boring but works for fuel economy.lol comes off the 02 accord/ acura cl i think

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there!can anybody tell me what tranny i have on my prelude 97??some say that it is M6HA some say that it it's M2Y4...the mark on the tranny is lost,so i cant define it by myself...any help will be very useful to me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there!can anybody tell me what tranny i have on my prelude 97??some say that it is M6HA some say that it it's M2Y4...the mark on the tranny is lost,so i cant define it by myself...any help will be very useful to me.
I believe the M6HA is an automatic transmission. I know the M2Y4 is a manual. I am assuming you have a base model? If it is a Type SH it will have a M2U4 so in summary, auto-M6HA, manual base-M2Y4, Type SH M2U4 assuming the transmission in your car is the one it came with from the factory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So ive got a 98 accord. I have an H series trans on my F23A1. My question to you is can i take the 5th gear out of my 98 trans and slap it in the H series and end up with the best of both worlds???

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,258 Posts
So ive got a 98 accord. I have an H series trans on my F23A1. My question to you is can i take the 5th gear out of my 98 trans and slap it in the H series and end up with the best of both worlds???
This has been covered dozens of times. Search on google or on here.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,258 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts