Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, newbie here again... lol

I need to service my AC but I first need to convert it From R 12 to R13A.. Any recommendations where to get the required parts ?

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
Wal-mart, NAPA, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc.... You can buy a retro-fit kit pretty much anywhere you can buy anything car related. But be warned that your system may not last long after converting if you do it yourself. You need to get all the old oil out of the system before charging it with r134a. Some of the oil used in r12 systems is not compatible with the oil used with r134a, and your compressor can fail after a short time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
lol, just went through all this. I had my compressor rebuilt because it was leaking. But, to convert it all to r-134a i simply replaced the drier o-rings, and compressor o-rings. there are four very specific size o-rings that you can get probably for free from a mom and pop (as it were) AC shop. after that have the AC shop vacuum your system for at least 15minutes and recharge with 134a. P.S. the sight glass on the drier will still have white bubbles in it, this is okay with 134a. I have no leaks anymore and the condenser took to the 134a just fine., Oh yeah and you should also replace the two service ports, the low side is the larger one and is more important so you can refill it later yourself.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
you need an r134a drier too. I reccomend dealer or online dealer for the reciver/drier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts