Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has encountered this before. My wife's 2001 SH (133K miles) AC was blowing fine but no cold air. My brother and I checked the pressures and charged the system. Now the high end pressure is very high and the low end pressure is within a normal range. After charging the system, her AC compressor cycles on and off in a very short period of time. Of course the cycling causes the RPMs to fluctuate. She is upset about that. Turn the air off and the RPMs stay consistent. My brother has worked on AC systems in various cars at different points in time over the years. He is ten years older than me. He seems to think that the problem is a high end restriction and / or the expansion valve. Has anyone had this problem or know the most common problem(s) in the Prelude?

·
Bearderator
8,521 Posts
Well... I'm no help on this topic other than volunteering the information that on my 5th gen the A/C compressor clutch never seemed to stay engaged for long, so it may have been a electrical issue on my part. RPMs would drop as well, but RPMs dropping on a 4cyl with A/C is somewhat normal.

Have you looked into getting the Helms Factory Service Manual for the car? It does detail the A/C system and can be obtained through www.hondahookup.com, as well as the electrical trouble shooting manual. Very handy to have.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So ironic that you mention the Helms manual. I have had the manual since I bought my Prelude, Dec 2009. My brother and myself looked at the Helms together, also the exploded diagrams on multiple Honda parts websites. Trouble shooting, parts diagrams, etc. We were just trying to get some opinions before we just starting throwing parts at the car. Worse case scenario, I will take her car to a very reputable strictly A/C repair shop in town. I have had nothing but good things / experiences to say about the shop regarding jobs they have done on my previous two Legends. We were just trying to avoid unnecessary costs. Regardless, thanks for the response and input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts