Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The next stage of brake upgrade and weight removal took place today.

Removed the ABS system and lost 14kgs in the process.
Most of it in the worst place for weight, hanging over the front corner of the car.

Initial thoughts are that the pedal feel is much better and there is less travel in the pedal as well.
I'll do a proper road test later and a track test in a few weeks.

It also leaves a nice big space to re-design the intake .

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question and well spotted on the lines.

Most of them are easy enough to 'manipulate' into their new homes.

the two rears are very easy and need nothing doing.

The two fronts need re-bending to suit .
The two master cylinder lines were different but I had the lines from the non-ABS car to use. The front line is a straight swap. The rear uses a different end fitting between the tow so I made a new line with the correct fittings on.

I used the proportioning valve from the non-ABS car as well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm assuming you're car doesn't have to go through spec :). So how does it feel on hard stops? I hate abs and would do this to mine if it had, just don't let "the man" find out, otherwise you could be in big trouble ;).

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have tests over here but they are different.
As long as stuff is removed totally it's OK. It's just when you do it half-assed and leave stuff that indicates that there should be something fitted.
So a warning light showing would cause a fail.

My ABS was modified anyway to allow me some locking before the abs came in. That meant I could use cadence braking without the abs kicking in.

I haven't had chance to try it properly yet but I'd suspect it will be much better in all aspects as the pedal feel is so much better.
To the extent that I might have to adjust the pedal height down to allow me to heel & toe normally.

·
Donates his big Member
2,229 Posts
Cool, that brave! I prefer the feel of non abs cars!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i dont really understand why you would want to get rid of it and run the chance of locking your breaks up, and if your going with a big break kit or w/e you'll want abs because they will lock up even easier!

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
cgm12mgc said:
i dont really understand why you would want to get rid of it and run the chance of locking your breaks up, and if your going with a big break kit or w/e you'll want abs because they will lock up even easier!
if you need ABS brakes to prevent you from locking up your tires...you suck at driving.

88SE drives on the track, so thats why he ditched em

I hate the feel of ABS brakes...unless Im in some big ass SUV and driving in the snow...those are a little more hard to control than a lude :razz:

·
Registered
69 Posts
im doin the abs removal in my lude in the next week or 2, i have a non abs donor car with all the lines to swap over. its good to know how much weight im actually gonna lose first thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly as Tsiah says.
It's a driver aid that doesn;t do much aiding.
On track (or even the road) it only helps if you're doing an emergancy stop in bad weather. And then it's debatable in some cases.
TBH for a purely road car I'd leave it on. Simply because it doesn't hurt too much.

Part of the fun for me is having to learn the cars braking abilities again .
Especially in the rain when I'll need to concentrate far more until I'm used to it again.
I don't want a different car so if I can make new challenges with this one then that's all good.

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
I've had more scares is ABS equipped cars than non ABS equipped cars...
but I will say again, on something as large as my moms ridgeline, the stability assist, traction control and ABS are all nice features. you cant make that thing slide on a sheet of ice :razz:

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I've been out today and managed to give them a basic shakedown in both dry and wet conditions.
big improvement in feel and in the dry the braking performance is easier ot get to.
So a big :emthup: so far.
Just need to remember it's gone when it snows. lol

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
just remember to pump the pedal if you start sliding ;) you'll be fine

ludes are awesome in the snow

·
Registered
750 Posts
tsiah said:
just remember to pump the pedal if you start sliding ;) you'll be fine

ludes are awesome in the snow

im definityl going to agree with you, but i thibk im going to stop driving my car in the snow only because the cancer is just starting to show. I dont have ABS and i hate the damn system ne how. i find that when im test driving customers cars that have abs (even brand new ones) the brakes still dont fair to my ludes old beat 4 wheel disc non abs brakes.

·
Registered
850 Posts
do a write-up if one doesn't already exist.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
congrats.. i've been thinking of doing the same since my abs doesn't work at all.. and is expensive to repair... if u could make a write up or a list of what u did and what parts were gonna need from a donor car that would be awesome.. also is it illegal in the states to remove it? i kno air bags are but i don't kno about abs. Also what parts had to be custom or can a doner car supply most of the components.

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
JAY_JAY_N said:
congrats.. i've been thinking of doing the same since my abs doesn't work at all.. and is expensive to repair... if u could make a write up or a list of what u did and what parts were gonna need from a donor car that would be awesome.. also is it illegal in the states to remove it? i kno air bags are but i don't kno about abs. Also what parts had to be custom or can a doner car supply most of the components.

it is illegal to remove any safety equipment that is on the car when it was built...but if they cant tell it was there, who are they to say it was removed?
the chassis from the ALB and non ALB cars is exactly the same ;)

·
Registered
840 Posts
heh i thought about that ever since i got my lude..the abs system only seems to be in the way and extra weight.... but i dont think its worth the hassle for only 10-15lbs or weight reduction...blah unless i get some non-abs lude lines to connnect directly im not even gona begin to imagine taking it off..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts