Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks!
I'm new here. I'm so glad I found this site. I basically would like anyone's opinion on what I should do.

For the last five years I've owned a 1988 Prelude si 4WS. I absolutely love this car. Well, about a month ago I was driving to my friend's house and I gave it some gas and nothing happened then I tried to turn up a street and I lost my steering. To cut a long story short, my timing belt broke. I got it towed to my garage and they said it wouldn't be worth fixing. It's got 160,000 miles on it, there's a huge crack going accross the bottom of the windshield, the driver's door doesn't shut correctly, the antenna is busted, the clear coat is peeling off, there's some rust, and the air controls are stuck on heat.
I ended up buying a 2001 prelude, all stock, one owner who babied it and it has 90,000 miles on it. I do like my new car, it's very sharp looking but it's no where near as fun to drive as my old one.

So I have two questions...

Is it worth fixing my old one and how much money would I have to sink into it to have it running perfectly?

Should I get the timing belt/autotensioner/water pump replaced in my newer car now even though it's not due till 105,000 miles? I'm very paranoid about timing belts now because of what happened to my 1st lude!

Sorry for the long post!!! Any replies would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Sarah

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
If you get the timing belt done at proper intervals you shoulkd not have to worry at all.

To fix the car is only worth it to you if you love it. A new engine dropped in will costs ~1k....then you can fix the other stuff by yourself.

Search around and you will find your answers. And for the other car...there is a 5th gen forum...

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
It's not so much money, but time that you'd be investing in the lude to get her in tip top shape. If you love the lude it's always worth fixing. It'll probably run in the neighborhood of $2k + if you're doing the work yourself. Definately search like butter said. There's a lot of great info and people on this site.

Oh yeah, welcome to the site BTW! and good luck with the ludes.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Cadster has good advice... But in YOUR interest if you really think it's worth it, go for it. I did/am/trying!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
butterthegreat said:
If you get the timing belt done at proper intervals you shoulkd not have to worry at all.
Trust me, if I would have known that it would have been replaced! That's the one thing I never really knew about. NOW I DO!

This car is my baby. I think I'm going to fix it. (i just have to come up with the cash!)

Thanks for all your input and the warm welcome!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
just buy a parts car that is in a lil better body condition, and swap everything around as needed. then get a jdm b20a , if you can find one. Im having a hard time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts