Honda Prelude Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Does anyone know what these holes are for on the 1991 crankshaft pulley? I'm wondering if I could insert bolts into them to hold the crankshaft still, like I will be doing on the 1989 crankshaft pulley.

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
817 Posts
They're for a special tool, like what you were talking about making. Lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
The holes are really small, like 4mm diameter. I reckon the bolts going through them would snap from the force of the torque.

-

So I ended up removing the spark plug from piston 1, removing the valve cover to find BDC before the compression stroke, and then shoving a 10mm rope down the spark plug hole. The crankshaft is now jammed, good.

Now I have another fricken problem. My car up on stands doesn't give me the clearance I need to crack the crankshaft pulley bolt with my 750mm breaker bar from underneath, so I now need to buy either by a 450mm breaker bar or a 1/2" drive extension and get at the bolt from the side with the wheel off. I'm leaning towards the 1/2" drive extension.

I am looking at the extension bar because if the bolt is as hard as to get off like so many people say then getting it off with a 450mm breaker bar is still going to be a bitch and I see myself laying on the road pushing it with my leg like an idiot. Yeah, not happening!

Everyone I see doing it with an extension bar has the extension bar resting on a stand. I only have two stands and both of them are holding the car up. Does anyone know if removing the crankshaft pulley bolt can be done without the extension bar resting on something? My concern is the extension bar not being 90 degees X/Y of the bolt when I push down on the breaker bar and shearing off the bolt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Buy another jackstand, or try to use the scissor jack to support the extension. I had to put an 8 ft pipe on my breaker bar to bust mine loose.
When it gives you'll hear a loud crack and swear the bolt snapped, but that's just the noise you'll hear.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Haha, not going to buy another jack stand.. might as well have bought the correct tools if I was going that far. :)

Good idea about the scissor jack. I don't think it would raise high enough but I might give it a go if things get difficult. Thanks :)

41 - 45 of 45 Posts