Honda Prelude Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey guys

So I got a "brand new" alternator which turned out to be a re-manufactured one. The shitty retailer spin that it's 'brand new' because the parts are inside are new. Bull shit.. but anyway..

After I install the alternator, I will need to adjust the alternator belt. The shop manual (16-75) states in step 1 that one needs to apply a force of 98 nM and measure the deflection between the alternator and the crankshaft pulley...

Does anyone know where am I suppose to apply the force?

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
786 Posts
Apply force to the belt between the pulleys - that's what it's referring to when it say to measure belt deflection. 10 - 12mm is about the size of an average fingernail, tip to cuticle. The diagram on page 8 of the section you posted shows exactly where to do it. Adjust your tension so that when you push on the outer surface of the belt it deflects to what the manual says. You'd have to have a force gauge to determine the exact amount of force to apply, and none of us own one of those. Pushing on the belt pretty hard with your thumb should be enough - 22lbs of force isn't a huge amount - more than a touch, but less than the amount of force it would take to move a snug bolt. Use your best judgement. If you adjust it and it still squeals a little when you start it up, tighten it a bit more before you call it a day, then try it again.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts