Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so yesterday I'm on my way somewhere with my wife. We stop in for some gas and when we start going again. (immediately) the car bogs down at low RPM. once it hits about 2300 it comes out of it... then it gets a little hairy again at 3400.

I have been wanting to do a tuneup for a while so I did the plugs and cap and rotor. The parts store had to order my wires so they'll be here soon.

I cranked it up and it seems to idle better but it drove home and it was still doing th ehesitating and sputtering. Then I let it sit overnight and started it this morning to come to work it drove fine until the engine got warmed up the it was doing it again.

Anyone got any ideas here?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Maybe something with your fuel system? Check your fuel filter and injectors and such. Could be bad gas. Does it only do that when its warm? Oh and you should replace your pcv. it shouldn't cost more than $5 and could be the cause for it running bad aswell.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Wierd, yeah i would check the fuel filter and pcv vavle. They're not expensive at all and could solve the problem, and its part of the tune up anyway. I know other people have said that changing the pcv valve solved their bogging problems.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My car is doing that same thing. I checked my EGR valve, and it was fine, check that first. It's mostly likely that you need to clean out your throttle body(the butterfly valve).

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
FrozenStreaks said:
My car is doing that same thing. I checked my EGR valve, and it was fine, check that first. It's mostly likely that you need to clean out your throttle body(the butterfly valve).
i doubt any of this. you can take the egr valve off and itll run fine cause a few people have do it here and it runs fine. all it does is help with emmisions. and theres no way the secondaries could be cloged. the valve runs off of a vacume line which would be very hard to clog, and the car will still run on the main openings and the secondaries dont open up till 4200 rpms so it wont matter at low rpms. if you mean that they could be stuff open, all itll do is make the car sluggish, not bog down

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
It's not the EGR valve, nor is it the secondary runners.

Was the gas station receiving a gas shipment at the time?

Never ever EVER get gas a station that is having it's tanks filled, or had them filled within the last couple hours.

The process of filling the tanks stirs up the sludge and water at the bottem of the tanks, and sends it out the pumps.

Get a can of gas tank drier, not cleaner, not system cleaner, but gas DRIER, and put it in the tank.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fuel filter is an easy replace. If you haven't done services on your car recently, thats ALWAYS the first step. After you get a new air/fuel filter, new plugs, new wires, go get a tank full of high octane fuel and a fuel injector cleaner additive. This will free up any left over gunk in injectors. Any problems after that mean component failure and that means time to get the tools out, yours or the mechanic that is going to have to fix it. The EGR valve (exhaust gas recirclatory valve) is for emissions, it reroutes exhaust air through the intake to reburn a percentage of preburned air. I think you meant PCV valve, which helps maintain the vacuum in the car. This is found on top of the valve cover with a vacuum line running to the intake manifold attached to it. This can also be replaced easily. Oh and visually check all the vacuum hoses, a vacuum leak could easily cause a vacuum dependent component to fail which would cause the engine to perform poorly. Hope that helps a lil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts