Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys its been long...

I have been quite busy so busy my prelude under going some serious work so lets just start with some help with my ice problem.

I am creating my own built in box which will hold a subwoofer and two amps the sub is on the one half and the two amps on the other side of the box these amps will be inside the box and vented holes

Now where the vented holes are I plan to mount on each side a 120mm Thermaltake Fan for extra cooling above the amps.

Specs of Fan

Rated Voltage : 12v
Started Voltage : 6v
Rated Current : 0.38A
Power Input : 4.56W

Ok so now I also need these fans to start only when I turn my radio on (remote wire), and to turn off when my radio is off

I also dont want to blow these fans as they were quite pricy

Thanks

Will post pics when I am finished...

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
ok so did you say the amps are in the box? or are they in a seperate area closed off from the sub? if they are in the same chamber as the sub then you cannot use tose fans or any other fan. as the pressure inside the box with render them usless not to mention throw off the tuning on the whole setup. if they are seperated then no problem just wire up your fans to a standard 12v relay as your remote on wire from the radio cannot handle the current to power the fans. i would also suggest using an inline power noise filter to eliminate noise inducing into your amp. if you have any questions on audio dont hesitate to ask me, pm, email whatever. im a certified installer with over 10 years experience. not bragging just saying i can probly help.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
For the amp enclosure you need to make sure it will have proper air flow for the amps to cool adequately. If possible the amps should be mounted so that the cooling fins are vertical, as this will create the best convection effect. If the fans are at the top have them blow out and put a vent in the side of the enclosure as close to the bottom as possible. The vent should have a screen over it or even better a filter. You could also put the fans in the side towards the bottom and have them blow in, with the vent now on the top. In this setup you would want the screen/filter over the fans instead of the vent. The screen/filter should go where ever the air is flowing into the enclosure.

The whole idea here is to create airflow inside the enclosure from bottom to top. This way you are taking advantage of natural convection where warmer air rises.

C|

·
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok sorry guys its a double box with the box subdivided in half and on the one side there are two amps and the other the sub so I was speaking to the the people at work and they recon if I had to connect the positive wire of the fan to the electric antanae wire option on the radio will this power the fan at 12v and if it is will it then fluctuate the voltages

Thanks for air flow concept I will now install 2 Fans on each side(because the amp side is divided in two to mount the amps vertically) Two 80mm to suck in the air in to the box and two 120mm to pull it out of the box.

Thanks for the help guys

Pics will follow soon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts