Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My air conditioning doesnt work in my car and i was thinking whats the use then.... it just blows hot air. Ive heard from people that if you take the a/c belt off you gian some power to the wheel. Just wondering but where is the A/C located at... on top of the alternater or bottom? If someone could just point it out for me it would be nice. Thanks.

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
the a/c belt goes around the a/c compressor.... duh

do a search for tiki's car repair thread. his pics shows the a/c very well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i wanted to know where the a/c compressor was at..... not the belt. All you had to say was" its over the alternater" which would of saved you so much time to write " go look it up at tikies something something" Thats all i asked.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
goku said:
i wanted to know where the a/c compressor was at..... not the belt. All you had to say was" its over the alternater" which would of saved you so much time to write " go look it up at tikies something something" Thats all i asked.
well i will save you some time... its kind of a pain to get it out without the radiator, front bumper and hood off... but gl with it...

here is a pic of it...

And here is it taken out...

you got any questions about removing lemme know...

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
goku said:
thanks guys. It helped.
and just for future refrence.... while you are down working in their.... make sure you get the prelude belt that goes over the "s" model without A/C, it fits amazing... also while your down their... sync up your A/C fan with your other one so you got dual fans to cool engine.

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
Tiki said:
its kind of a pain to get it out without the radiator, front bumper and hood off.

those are the pics.

naw.. just pull the fans and radiator.

hood, fender and bumper can stay :)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
CADster said:
those are the pics.

naw.. just pull the fans (or the one fan on that side) and radiator.

hood, fender and bumper can stay :)
well yea... i would leave it on. it was jsut really easy for me shile it was off...lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another question. Cant i just cut the a/c belt without removing the whole a/c? wouldnt it give it the same extra power.

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
yea, if its the only thing on that belt. i dont remember

but it dont give power. the a/c has to be on before it uses horses.

just the pully spinning might use 1 horse... if that.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
no you cant cut the belt

its the altenator belt.... you cant cut the belt. And plus its alot of weight you get to remove.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
If you're truly into weight reduction and HP freeing, you could cut the belt (and remove your a/c compressor, power steering pump, and alternator...) and just replace you battery after every drag race... But the Prelude isn't a straight-line drag car by design! Silly racer, straight lines are for Mustangs :p

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
oh god, not another mustang fan, do i really have to get into a discussion about mustangs and how they are so incredibly pointless to mod and race?

ford racing = oxymoron, key word: moron :-D

JK, everyone has the right to have an opinion, even if its wrong :-D

hehe, ok i shutup now lmoa

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I wasn't saying I like mustangs (I don't, but I respect the fact that some people do... like one of my friends...). I was just saying that weight reduction or A/C and power steering removal on the 3g (or any g) Prelude is pointless and doesn't help the car achieve its full potential. Only a competent driver, sticky tires (tyres) and high-speed twisties bring joy to our 18-year-old cars' hearts. :) :) Not 13-second 1/4 mile times.

Seriously though, so many people (and it's easy to see why, thank you Civic) have this notion that all (80's and 90's) Hondas are feature-less, power-less little econoboxen to go from point A to point B with minimal hassle. The Prelude breaks from all of that. People are somehow still surprised when they get in my car and see the A/C button or I tell them (or show them in the parking lot hehehe) about the 4WS. Seriously, this car is, above all, about driver experience. Don't take away your own!

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
Sparcomarco said:
to remove the compressor what sockets do you need? 10mm, 12mm, or 14mm and do you really need to remove the radiator?
14mm for the compressor bolts, and whatever sizes to remove the alternator, and adjust it for the new belt. you dont need to remove the radiator, much easier to remove the alternator. gives you plenty of room with the right length sockets or wrenches.

alanoneil said:
I was just saying that weight reduction or A/C and power steering removal on the 3g (or any g) Prelude is pointless and doesn't help the car achieve its full potential. Only a competent driver, sticky tires (tyres) and high-speed twisties bring joy to our 18-year-old cars' hearts. :) :) Not 13-second 1/4 mile times.
are you fucking serious??????? yes, the things you listed help a vehicle reach its full potential, but you seriously think weight reduction is pointless? wow, i knew some people were thickheaded, but goddamn!!

acceleration is directly related to hp per pound, or pounds per hp, however you want to think of it. removing 100 pounds from a 2000 pound 3g is removing 5% of its total weight. which increases the hp per pound by 5%, or decreases the pounds per hp by 5%, again however you want to think of it. removing 100 pounds from a 3g would be about equivilent to removing 180 pounds from a rustang!

weight reduction in a lighter car makes for a much larger improvement then the same weight reduction in a heavier car. how hard is it to understand that??

removing 100 pounds from a 2000 pound 3g is 5% increase, removing 100 pounds from a 3600 pound rustang is only 2.7%.

there is a reason why every single person on this site that has removed their a/c has claimed improvements, BECAUSE ITS TRUE!!!

there is not a single vehicle in the entire world that wont benefit from weight reduction. ive read soooo many articles in magazines even that prove it. hell, i read one specific one that did weight reduction 1/4 mile times in a totally bone stock nissan spec-v sentra, and DROPPED 2 FULL SECONDS IN THE 1/4 JUST WITH WEIGHT REDUCTION!!!! same exact driver, same exact driving habits, absolutely no mods whatsoever except rippin shit out of the car that wasnt necessary!

im bout to leave a negative rep point for this nub for sayin that shiet, seriously.....
should i?? :p

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
i agree with ^. Ok loosing seriously, have you had 4 people in your lude and gunned it? If you cant notice a difference then you crazy.... i race this rustang (like the name ^^^) all the time off the line and kick his ass (because its a v6 auto). But when i had 4 people in my car he beat me... even the difference between a small driver (like me (135lbs)) and a fat driver (say 200) makes a shit load of difference..

Why do you think japanese prosper so well?????

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
do it man!:turn: and to add, alanoneil if weight reduction was a waste then why would power to weight ratios be so important and why would the craz of putting high output engines in light cars be around? why would all the car companies be trying to fit the most powerfull engines in the smallest/lightest cars right now like 240hp in the S2000 or 224hp i the srt4? why do you think lighter cars handle better than heavier cars? by pulling out 100-200 pounds from a 3gen youre only making it handle better caue it has less weight to cause it too lean. i dont see 4000 pound cars taking corners like a 3gen, do you? go and remove or even disconnect your P/S pump and your A/C pump and tell me that you dont feel a difference in your motors acceleration. why would you see pulley sets for sale that add 5-10 hp? if wirhgt reduction didnt matter then nascar would have A/C's in the car so that the drivers didnt have to deal with 120 degree cockpit temps. oh, for shits and giggles, ask ferarri and lamborgini why they use fiberglass and carbon fiber to make there cars and why their cars have some of the best handling that you can buy. use your brain for once why dont ya.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts