Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heartbroken in AZ, here.
Purchased a beautiful '99 bright blazing red Prelude w/ 97,000 original miles. Everything was perfect. Had it checked by a mechanice. Only a few little cosmetic issues - zero engine issues except a very teeny, tiny oil leak which I have babied since my first test drive. Keep it with premium. Check everything often. Blah, blah, yadda, yadda.

Intro AZ Summer heat. Knowing how hard the heat is on the newest of cars out here, I limited my daily driving the best I could and treated the a/c the same. Then, one day it went from ice cold to hot. I bought a recharge kit and nothing, Next, when i turned the a/c on, it made a loud screech sound bad enough to make me turn it right off. It sort of sounds as if something was stuck in the fan but, everything looks clear. Now, when i turn on the heat or the ac the car stalls. It goes from regular rpms to a sputter to a stall. TWice now, when sitting at a light for longer than a minute or two it quietly shuts off. It restarts without issue. THis went on for twoish weeks and now the temp gauge is reading hot and coolant isn't being used from the reserve resevoir so, i'm having to refill coolant every 3 days or so. Nothing is leaking underneath. I'm obviously now terrified to drive it and don't have any idea where to start so am nervous about taking it in without having any ideas and them telling me it's going to cost a fortune. Am wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1985 Prelude
65 Posts
Seems to be a compressor issue. The RPMs dropping when you turn the AC on could be caused by the compressor causing a lot more drag than normal on the engine. And I have experienced something like this with my civic. There would be more drag on the engine with the AC on, not enough to make it stall, but enough to be noticeable, then one day the compressor farted out a plum of black smoke and liquid and died.

·
Administrator
6,864 Posts
Are your fans kicking on when you engage the a/c?

Bad belt tension or compressor clutch failing could be your screeching.

The overheating sounds like a fan related issue or air in the coolant. Maybe even a bad radiator cap if the reservoir is not being used.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts