Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 98 Type SH I am currently rebuilding the motor on and the bracket that goes between the block and the cooler cracked when I was reinstalling it.

I tried to order the bracket from hondapartsnow and everything went smoothly until the dreaded email that said the item was on backorder. Even after I called for availability and they said it was in stock and ready to ship.

The part number is 15301-P5P-000.

Do any of you know where I can get one of these? I'm kind of stuck at this point :(

I have attached a picture from the exploded diagram.

Attachments

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
Yikes, that's a hard part to find. You might be able to find someone parting out an SH block that has it.

Call and as how long it's on backorder for, or call all your local dealers and see if someone has it in stock.

·
Administrator
6,802 Posts
There are 2 in the cali wearhouse. Any local dealer can order it for you.

I just checked and the only dealer in the states with one, is also in cali. Wittmeier honda.

That's it, otherwise back ordered and betting soon to be discontinued. This is the final year for most parts

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts

I just checked and the only dealer in the states with one, is also in cali. Wittmeier honda.

That's it, otherwise back ordered and betting soon to be discontinued. This is the final year for most parts
And now I'll be panic ordering a ton of parts for my hooptie.

·
Administrator
6,802 Posts
Does this go for all oil seals, rotors, caps, belts, etc?

What should I stock up on?
Thanks man.

PM if you want instead.
No, they will be available.

Just misc things that are not commonly replaced. Normal wear and tear items on engines and common suspension stuff will be around just as past models.
Starters, alternators, power steering pumps, oil seals, steering rack components, alignment related components, those types of things that keep the car going.

Things like the bracket/plate requested in this thread - which although motor related, is very uncommon.

Majestic's online catalog is pretty accurate with what's been discontinued so far.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hey guys I have a 98 Type SH I am currently rebuilding the motor on and the bracket that goes between the block and the cooler cracked when I was reinstalling it.

I tried to order the bracket from hondapartsnow and everything went smoothly until the dreaded email that said the item was on backorder. Even after I called for availability and they said it was in stock and ready to ship.

The part number is 15301-P5P-000.

Do any of you know where I can get one of these? I'm kind of stuck at this point :(

I have attached a picture from the exploded diagram.

I have an old SH block sitting in my garage right now, can you post a pic of what you need to an outside image hosting site so I can see if I have it? If I have it, I'll give it to you for free if you can cover shipping.

EDIT: I see you posted the part number, let me check what I got.

EDIT2: I have the part, let me know if you want it, PM me your details and I'll send it to you (you'll just need a new gasket for the backside).
http://imgur.com/jMHrSEW

·
Registered
675 Posts

This makes me sad. I got some warranty parts this week i'm not happy with. And warranty honda won't let you keep the original.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Awesome man thank you for checking for me I really appreciate it. I did check the local dealer and they said it was on backorder with no eta.

I have an old SH block sitting in my garage right now, can you post a pic of what you need to an outside image hosting site so I can see if I have it? If I have it, I'll give it to you for free if you can cover shipping.

EDIT: I see you posted the part number, let me check what I got.

EDIT2: I have the part, let me know if you want it, PM me your details and I'll send it to you (you'll just need a new gasket for the backside).
http://imgur.com/jMHrSEW
I ended up bringing the part down to my welder and he did an awesome job of mending the crack, I bolted it to a metal plate and he did an awesome job with it. The motor should be back in and fired tonight, so ill keep you updated on how it goes and if it leaks. Im hoping it doesnt and I really appreciate you going out of your way to find that part for me. If it does leak I will definately take you up on that but I really really hope it doesnt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I now know that the welds did not hold up or I missed a crack. After having the bracket welded and putting the motor back in the car everything was kosher up until the oil got warm. Apparently doing the balance shaft delete kit really does give you more pressure because it really poured out of that bracket :/

So G-wiz, I guess I'll take you up on that offer. PM Sent much appreciated.

As for the fun it was to remove once the motor was back in the car..... lets just say I'm getting pretty good at taking that ATTS unit out of the car.... haha

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, I now know that the welds did not hold up or I missed a crack. After having the bracket welded and putting the motor back in the car everything was kosher up until the oil got warm. Apparently doing the balance shaft delete kit really does give you more pressure because it really poured out of that bracket :/

So G-wiz, I guess I'll take you up on that offer. PM Sent much appreciated.

As for the fun it was to remove once the motor was back in the car..... lets just say I'm getting pretty good at taking that ATTS unit out of the car.... haha
I'll send it out Monday (sent you a pm). I hate removing the ATTS, its like having to carefully hoist a small child in and out of that tight space lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After fighting with the axle and wrestling the small child (ATTS) out of the car, removing the old bracket along with some vulgarities about a 5 minute job turning into a 2 hour job I threw some new gaskets from honda on the new bracket and put everything back together.

Its alive! It runs great and no longer leaks anything!

A simple valve job turned into a complete overhaul, and then some.

H22A4 complete rebuild
block bored .010 over - because cylinders were worn past service limit
Type S 11:1 pistons - because why not
KAIZENSPEED balance shaft delete kit - I hate balance shafts
ACL bearings
complete valve job and new seals
Fidanza aluminum flywheel
Exedy clutch

It all started when I though I had a bad valve, then I started measuring clearances.....

Originally I was just planning on a hone and new rings so after the valve job it wouldn't smoke lol
Thanks alot guys for the help, and G-Wiz you da real mvp.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Out of curiosity what does deleting the balance shafts do? Do you notice any more vibrations?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Out of curiosity what does deleting the balance shafts do? Do you notice any more vibrations?
Deletion of the balance shaft do a couple of things.

Rotating mass, we all know about that.

oil pressure, the kit includes plugs for the girdle to replace the dowels to block the oil going up to the bearing where the balance shafts used to be. Its a considerable bump up in oil pressure.

least important it actually cleans up the area where the timing belt is. all that is left is literally the timing belt in there now and related parts.

As for vibration, I know what people have said and I'm now thinking that they were just talking talk to hear themselves type. I was worried about extra vibration at idle before I did it but still bit the bullet. When I tell you there is absolutely no noticeable added vibration whatsoever I meen it.
Even if that weren't the case, I couldn't justify loss of oil pressure all the time for a smoother idle. I was pleasantly surprised.

To tell you the truth I figured the thing would idle like a small block chevy with a cam especially because I also put an aluminum flywheel on there, but it doesn't feel any different to me at all than it did bone stock.

Ill have to upload a video of the thing starting and running for you.

Here is a picture of the kit completely installed tho

Before the head/timing close up

Balance Shaft Delete Kit

Notice the entire balance shaft assembly is gone. belts, pulleys etc.

Also on my motor I have the h23 manual tensioner conversion
The billet spacer there is not for OBD2 uses, found that out the hard way. The pulley passes over the tdc sensor right next to the crank that is facing the camera. I put that pulley back on.

Type S 11:1 pistons and fresh .010 over cylinders

I'm happy with how it came out, it runs/idles amazingly smooth and has a noticeable amount of extra power in the lower rpm range. Soon as I break it in correctly I'll let you know how it pulls in the high RPM range. :lol:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Damn, that looks nice! I now wish I had done the balance shaft delete when I had my engine outside of the car -_-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts