Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. Kinda new at this but have some mechanical know how. I bought a 98 prelude with 89k miles on an H22A4 engine. It requires throttle to start after sitting for more than an hour. Then it burns oil out of the filter on the valve cover, and out of the exhaust. Its thick and smells terrible. Where does a newbie start?

·
Administrator
7,131 Posts
Check if your PCV valve is clogged. It's the valve sitting on the valve cover with a hose going to the intake manifold. If you remove it, you should be able to shake it and hear a little "rattle". If you don't hear anything, replace it. Lack of crankcase ventilation will cause oil to come out of the filter as it is not a baffled location.

Oil coming from the exhaust could be bad piston rings, which is very odd for that mileage, or bad valve seals.

leak down and compression test

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check if your PCV valve is clogged. It's the valve sitting on the valve cover with a hose going to the intake manifold. If you remove it, you should be able to shake it and hear a little "rattle". If you don't hear anything, replace it. Lack of crankcase ventilation will cause oil to come out of the filter as it is not a baffled location.

Oil coming from the exhaust could be bad piston rings, which is very odd for that mileage, or bad valve seals.

leak down and compression test

How does one do a leak down and compression test?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update. Changed the pcv valve and fuel filter. It starts after about the fourth or fifth try after a cold start. Every now and then the D4 light will blink too. Itll make a chunky feeling and then blink. Tranny problems id think. Only happens in park tho.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Update. Changed the pcv valve and fuel filter. It starts after about the fourth or fifth try after a cold start. Every now and then the D4 light will blink too. Itll make a chunky feeling and then blink. Tranny problems id think. Only happens in park tho.
yeah if your D4 light is blinking that’s transmission issues, i had that happen to me late last year when i bought my first lude, mine was in 2nd gear but wasn’t driveable at all, so had to swap the tranny out

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still going rounds with it. Replaced so many finicky parts. Fuel filter, fuel pump, both exhaust sensors, pcv valve, adjusted the dizzy and piston locations back correctly, drained the gas tank and got fresh gas. It just cranks and pops hard out the exhaust. I havent heard it run in a year now guys. I need help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts