Honda Prelude Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at replacing a rear caliper on my 91 Prelude ALB with 97-01 Prelude rear calipers since the ones I currently have are seized. Does anyone know if the 97-01 rear calipers will fit on a 91 Prelude?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
hahahahahahaahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa

my tail light was smashed on my 3rd gen prelude but I didnt replace it with 5th gen tails.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Rich1 said:
I am looking at replacing a rear caliper on my 91 Prelude ALB with 97-01 Prelude rear calipers since the ones I currently have are seized. Does anyone know if the 97-01 rear calipers will fit on a 91 Prelude?

Thanks.
may I ask why you wanna put 5th gen calipers on your 3rd gen? :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geez...thanks for the friendly replies...

I do realize that a manufacturer changes parts even month to month during the production of a vehicle...

However, the reason why I'm considering the 5th gen calipers is because I'm getting them for basically free...but I was just wondering if they would fit.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
they wouldnt be a direct fit if thats what your asking. If you got them for free why didnt you just try them out for yourself?

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
how could it fit from 4 lug to 5? u will need the whole knuckle. and god only knows what else...try a 4th gen...

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
The wheel PCD (lug pattern) has absolutely nothing to do with caliper fitment in any way.

But to answer the question.
No they will not fit.
Nor will 4G claipers.

I could explain in detail why etc but take my word for it, they are nowhere near fitting and would need a lot of work.

·
Registered
639 Posts
88SE Lude said:
The wheel PCD (lug pattern) has absolutely nothing to do with caliper fitment in any way.

But to answer the question.
No they will not fit.
Nor will 4G claipers.

I could explain in detail why etc but take my word for it, they are nowhere near fitting and would need a lot of work.
i was under the impression that 4g VTEC and 5g calipers are essentially identical... 4g VTEC calipers will bolt up to a 4g non-VTEC, and i stumbled across information that 4g S/Si calipers are essentially identical to 3g Si calipers...

now, with that in mind, it would only be a matter of caliper placement (and most likely a larger rotor for ease of installation with 5g calipers) to fit them on a 3g... far from "nowhere near fitting and would need a lot of work," imo...

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
merlindavis said:
i was under the impression that 4g VTEC and 5g calipers are essentially identical... 4g VTEC calipers will bolt up to a 4g non-VTEC, and i stumbled across information that 4g S/Si calipers are essentially identical to 3g Si calipers...

now, with that in mind, it would only be a matter of caliper placement (and most likely a larger rotor for ease of installation with 5g calipers) to fit them on a 3g... far from "nowhere near fitting and would need a lot of work," imo...
All that info is true except for the fact that this is only for the front brakes...not the rears. Rears are totally different. :emthup: :smilejap:

I plan on doing the VTEC front brake upgrade and the more I learn about this, the easier it seems to do. If the calipers are the same for all 3gs and 4gs, you just need to find the VTEC caliper mounts (the thing that goes between the knuckle and the caliper) and some aftermarket brake rotors and you'll have 11" brakes (along with a shim to center the caliper over the rotor)...

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Dexter said:
Daily, the calipers are different, but the 4th VTEC calipers will fit with a 5mm shim I believe. Ask evo
The calipers are actually the same. Only the rotor and the caliper mounts are different.

I know for a fact that the 4g Si and VTEC calipers are the same...and from what I've heard from others that know what they are talking about, 3g Si's are the same too...

The difference needing the shim is not in the caliper, it's in the rotor. The VTEC rotors are not backspaced (I think that's what it's called...that or offset) the same as 3g's...

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
dano said:
Don't confuse Honda with Chevys which have been using the same engine for over 50 years !!!
and same wheel pattern, altinator bracket, starter, bellhousing... the list goes on and on :)

ford and dodge are the same way.

they have no need to reinvent the wheel every 4 years :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
There is an awful lot of complete crap being talked in this thread.
And sometimes from peopel that have had the info handed to them on a plate.

merlindavis said:

Neither the front nor rear are the same. But as we were specifically talking rears then I would suggest you research rather than stumble upon information.
Like I already said, they are 'nowhere near fitting and would need a lot of work' .
Youknow why I say this?
Because I've damn well tried it.
If you want to believe it's an easy job then you carry on but for the sake of everyone that is asking please don't encourage them to waste thier time & money.

Daily Intrelude said:
I plan on doing the VTEC front brake upgrade and the more I learn about this, the easier it seems to do. If the calipers are the same for all 3gs and 4gs, you just need to find the VTEC caliper mounts (the thing that goes between the knuckle and the caliper) and some aftermarket brake rotors and you'll have 11" brakes (along with a shim to center the caliper over the rotor)...
The calipers are NOT the same on all 3G's and 4G's.
The claipers are different ansd so are th4 carriers.
I thought I explained all this in a PM.

Daily again said:
The calipers are actually the same. Only the rotor and the caliper mounts are different.

I know for a fact that the 4g Si and VTEC calipers are the same...and from what I've heard from others that know what they are talking about, 3g Si's are the same too...

The difference needing the shim is not in the caliper, it's in the rotor. The VTEC rotors are not backspaced (I think that's what it's called...that or offset) the same as 3g's...
See above.
The calipers are not the same.

And the shim is not needed on the rotor at all.
It is needed on the caliper carrier and hub mounting.

I thought I explained all that by PM as well.

I must have posted on this topic more than any other on this forum and still people state the opposite of what I have told them .
You can be damn hard work sometimes and I'm not sure I should keep repeating myself every week.
I've covered all of this so mamy times in the past that a search will no doubt find everything you need to know.

I am yet to find anyone who did any of these brake conversions before I did, nor do I know of anyone who has more knopweldge on the subject. But as soon as I do find them I'll leave them to it here as I've had enough.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
your kind of cocky eh?.....you have no idea how much merlindavis and jason demand more respect than that. If you cannot inform in decent way, we wont take your information with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
88SE Lude said:
There is an awful lot of complete crap being talked in this thread.
And sometimes from peopel that have had the info handed to them on a plate.

The calipers are NOT the same on all 3G's and 4G's.
The claipers are different ansd so are th4 carriers.
I thought I explained all this in a PM.
The calipers are not the same.

And the shim is not needed on the rotor at all.
It is needed on the caliper carrier and hub mounting.

I thought I explained all that by PM as well.

I must have posted on this topic more than any other on this forum and still people state the opposite of what I have told them .
You can be damn hard work sometimes and I'm not sure I should keep repeating myself every week.
I've covered all of this so mamy times in the past that a search will no doubt find everything you need to know.

I am yet to find anyone who did any of these brake conversions before I did, nor do I know of anyone who has more knopweldge on the subject. But as soon as I do find them I'll leave them to it here as I've had enough.
Well, I'm getting the calipers too so I'll have a look see for myself. A guy that's owned both 3rd gens and 4th gens (and works as a mechanic for a living) told me that they are the same and I believe him a bit more than you because you're not always looking at the same equipment being overseas. And I know the 3g S model is different from any...

Plus, I wasn't talking about shimming the rotors...I was talking why you needed a shim at all. Please reread (or maybe I worded it wrong). You shim the caliper but the reason you need to shim the caliper is because of the differences between the rotors.

Regardless, talking to us like this is getting you no where. I respect your knowledge but that's where the respect is beginning to stop. I don't care how many times you have to state it. I guarantee I answer more H22 swap questions in a month than you do brake questions in a year but I don't get like this with them...time to get off your high horse a bit (reference below)
Who cares who did it first...we want the knowledge, not to know who has bragging rights. :emthdown:

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Some of you people make me laugh.

I cannot abide being spoken to about respect from people who know nothing about me. People earn my respect.

Jason, yes you're right you did piss me off. Being all nice by PM and taking up my time getting my replies to then come on here and shout the odds saying how I may be wrong. Why bother PM'ing me if you don't want to listen?
And why start getting pissy ansd demanding the knowledge. Maybe you should show some respect to people who take their time to do these things and then freely offer the knowledge. I take almost nothing from this forum, apart from abuse like this. Yet offer lots(even if it's mostly by PM). Guess who's getting the best deal here?
And talking to you anyway at all isnt supposed to be getting me anywhere. You wanted the info, I gave it.
That's hardly me wanting to get anything out of the deal is it.

I'll not bother wasting my time and knowledge here as some of you are so stuck up your own arses it makes me nauseus.

I've given the info endless times and you still go on about me not knowing what I'm talking about. Find someone else who has done this and give them grief when they answer your queries.

Bragging rights. Don't make me laugh.
I'm not of your ways, I'm a Brit, I have no need to brag. Particularly over the internet. Grow up.

you are still stating things as fact that are wrong.
that does infuriate me when I've spent so many times explaining to people what is and isn;t correct. The nto have all that queistioned by people that have never done this swap in any way is a bit like being called out .

Unlike a lot of peopel here I'm not here ot make buddies with people.
I'm here to share information. But that needs to be factual.
No point otherwise.
I'd rather offer correct info than have people like me.
Although people will like me for giving that correct info.

anyway, as this topic wasn't about your issues and beliefs I think we should end on the original question.
No the rear calipers won't fit without a lot of work!

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
OK, you say I'm making you mad? How? When did I originally say you were wrong even? You weren't even in this thread to start with! Then you come in here stomping your feet like you're the all-knowing one!

Now you are taking something personal just because I'm disagreeing w/ you. Take it how you want, you have already said that there was no difference to something else that I know there is a difference to. I believe you said that the 4g Si and VTEC rotors where the same size (in PM's if I recall correctly) but I KNOW for a fact that the VTEC rotors here in the states are larger than the Si rotors. With that thought in mind, I might not agree with stuff that you say that is conflicting to what someone else says that I respect also(knowledge wise) since this person deals with all USDM equipment. You don't like that I don't agree with you and it gets you pissed? Tuff!

And you say for me to grow up? Hah! I'm 33, a man with a wife and kids. You'll hardly need to tell me to grow up.

The only thing that is even remotely different in what I said and what you said in the first place is the calipers being the same between 3g Si and 4g Si and VTEC. If this is incorrect, sue me as I'm human and can make errors.

BTW, I don't get pissy. I say the truth and what I feel. I'm sorry if that pisses you off...but it was not meant as an attack or anything of that nature.

But enough of this usefulness to others...let's get back on topic.

When I do my brake upgrade, I'll document everything and do a writeup w/ pics so that people won't have to guess or bug you w/ PM's anymore. :roll:

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
three cheers for all knowing goodness.

Nobody will try to earn your respect with the attitude you show towards them. Take my advice and lighten the hell up. You can have all the right info in the world and nobody is going to care untill you pull that thorny stick out of your ass.

Hell, Jason might be wrong and you could have worked for honda for 40 years and everything you say is 100% correct but I would still believe jason because a teacher can only teach with the attention of his/her students. Respect gains attention.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.