Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 prelude for some reason my gauges quit working the window don't work aswell as the sunroof, all of the dash indicators stopped working no turn signals and no hazards. It all started when I was driving and hit a bump which made all the parking lights and cluster light go out. Kept popping the fuse. Someone told me to troubleshoot it with a paperclip so I did worked for 20 sec. Then melted. found a wire on the back of my radio (orange illumination wire) melted cut that off and those lights came no more popping fuse. Shortly after that all of the other problems happened all fuse good but some not getting power. Help?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump anyone? still haven't fixed and ideas of where all the grounds are or how to fix this. any relays wires something that could help

·
Registered
873 Posts
I was driving and hit a bump which made all the parking lights and cluster light go out. Kept popping the fuse.
Fuse blows once, replace it and don't worry. New fuse blows, throwing more (or bigger) fuses at it won't solve the problem.

Someone told me to troubleshoot it with a paperclip so I did worked for 20 sec.
That's someone you should stop listening to! In electrical troubleshooting, sometimes we jumper around something for 1/2 a sec, never 20 -- that's called jury-rigging. Replacing a fuse with a paperclip is actually a good way to start an electrical fire, and has no place in automotive diagnostics. Get a continuity tester!

Then melted.
What, the paperclip, or the fuse block? Either way, that's from a short-circuit.

found a wire on the back of my radio (orange illumination wire) melted cut that off and those lights came no more popping fuse.
If this is an aftermarket radio, I'd suggest pulling it entirely. Hitting a bump might have caused it to short-circuit, but that should've popped a fuse before the wire melted, so maybe it was someone's hack wiring job that shorted out when you hit a bump.

Shortly after that all of the other problems happened
Your "other problems" are identical to those I was having five years ago on my 4thy. What happened was, the idjit who installed a power cord for the radar detector ran it off the supply power for the dash before the fusebox, and didn't use an inline fuse. When the windshield was replaced, this cord got pinched, but it didn't melt until I bottomed the lude on a frost heave. Then all heck broke loose with my electrics, from the short-circuit it took me months to find -- hidden wire I forgot was even there.

...ideas of where all the grounds are or how to fix this. any relays wires...
I suspect you still have a short-circuit, not a grounding problem per se. Anyway, dig around PP and you'll find links to the proper manual showing all ground locations, wiring diagrams for the related circuits in question, etc. I wouldn't worry about relays just yet.

all fuse good but some not getting power. Help?
Here's a page with some basic information about test lights, multimeters, and some general troubleshooting procedures (nice flow chart):

http://www.ifitjams.com/circuit.htm

Hopefully you've not used a paper clip to test your circuits this time? Because the other possibility here is that you've damaged your fuse/relay block. You should trace the wires on any other aftermarket accessories installed on your lude, and remove those with sloppy work.

Also, check the ratings on your fuses against the diagram on the fuse box. Used cars with lots of wiring hacks often have "solved" problems by using bigger fuses. Which leads to wires melting instead of fuses blowing, causing bigger problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts