Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need gas and i had a half tank of 91 and all the station had for premium was 92 so i filled on top of it and now i get a fuel system to rich or too lean do you believe that is the cause and was it really stupid of me to do that...i blieve it was but i musta not been thinking....the tank is near empty so im gonna wait and seee...any opinions or experiece with this is valuable.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
No. I use 91, 92, 93, and 94 octane if they have it at the gas station I'm at. Using higher octane gas is better for your car. There is less of a chance of predetonation (pinging) and it burns cleaner. The gasoline isn't your problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
No. I use 91, 92, 93, and 94 octane if they have it at the gas station I'm at. Using higher octane gas is better for your car. There is less of a chance of predetonation (pinging) and it burns cleaner. The gasoline isn't your problem.
I wish they had higher octanes at our local gas stations here in California.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
What do you guys only get 91? That sucks. We have a few that carry 93, and Sunoco carries 93 and 94. I always get the highest because an extra 10 cents per gallon is never gonna break the bank. I usuall fill up at half tank, so 70 or 80 cents more.....why not? I hate it when people are like "OMG, you have to use premium gas!?!? That sucks!!!" I'm like, "Dude, it's only like $3.00 more per fill up than 87 octane" Cheap asses. lol If you can't afford an extra $3.00 1 or 2 times a week, buy a bicycle, ya' know? Or a Ford. hahaha

·
Registered
70 Posts
What do you guys only get 91? That sucks. We have a few that carry 93, and Sunoco carries 93 and 94. I always get the highest because an extra 10 cents per gallon is never gonna break the bank. I usuall fill up at half tank, so 70 or 80 cents more.....why not? I hate it when people are like "OMG, you have to use premium gas!?!? That sucks!!!" I'm like, "Dude, it's only like $3.00 more per fill up than 87 octane" Cheap asses. lol If you can't afford an extra $3.00 1 or 2 times a week, buy a bicycle, ya' know? Or a Ford. hahaha

Yeah.. it's 91 octane now. Way back then, it was 92 octane. I wasn't driving yet though.. California Laws...

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
because cali has the highest emissions laws in the nation. probably because they suck and pollute the most out of all states.

to the op, it's not the gas. if it was, every prelude in cali would suffer from this.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,277 Posts
Well said! :emthup:

I found a station that sells 97 octane near where i go to school... i filled my 'Lude with it once or twice last semester. I will say this much, there was a little less carbon on my exhaust tips than you normally see with the higher octane!:wink3:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Guys California has the best I have found in any state. Right down the street I have 100 octane at the pump, its called race fuel and costs about 4 to five bucks a gallon. Its off Cabot street in Mission Viejo by the Best Buy. And theres two more my friends go to, I forget where though. Also at most tracks in California they have gas stations that sell 100+ and leaded fuel.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I need gas and i had a half tank of 91 and all the station had for premium was 92 so i filled on top of it and now i get a fuel system to rich or too lean do you believe that is the cause and was it really stupid of me to do that...i blieve it was but i musta not been thinking....the tank is near empty so im gonna wait and seee...any opinions or experiece with this is valuable.
How do you know if you have a "fuel system rich" or "fuel system lean" condition? Is the check engine light on? Did you check the codes in the computer? Simply changing to a different octane won't throw a code. If you are throwing a code now, it would just be coincidence.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i say its highly coincidental that after i start the car it has a cel code 45 after filling 92 with 91. Either way i would like to know what would be a solution to fix it perhaps o2 sensors. I really dont think anything is wrong with the fuel system if anything it may need a fuel filter change.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
you can mix them all you want it just so happened that your cel came on then...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts