Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so i've been having problems with this lude ever since i got it...i crashed my 95 SE but saved the engine and swapped into this 92....right now it's running really rich and having major revving problems....at idle i'm fine but once i try to bring it up i get to 2000rpm and it starts freaking out...my CEL flickers everytime it drops down too but i'm not getting any codes so there isn't a way i can read a code.....i have already changed out my o2 sensor because it was about that time anyway but that didn't seem to solve any problems....here's a short video to help with my problem description....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YldGd1R91bk

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
it's hitting fuel cut. which leads me to believe the ecu is reading that you're at 0% throttle at all times, which leads me to believe there is an issue with your tps sensor. either it's unplugged, or has a break in the wiring, or the sensor itsself is shot.
or, on your engine, is the map sensor on the TB or is it in the vacuum box? cuz the map sensors that are mounted on the TB have the same plug as the tps sensor, and people sometimes tend to switch the plugs on accident, obviously making for completely incorrect signals being sent to the ecu

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i checked that it is plugged in, there is good voltage at the wire connector, so i'm checking the sensor itself soon

the map sensor is mounted on the firewall behind the intake manifold, so i know it's the right harness connector

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i checked the sensor and i was getting some pretty crazy readings, i don't have a ecu test harness like the manual suggests so i just probed the back of the harness to the tps. my closed throttle reading was like 1.6V and WOT was 6.4V. I happen to have an extra throttle body so i drilled those rivets out and replaced it with some bolts. i tried adjusting it to get the proper voltages but i was getting .5 at closed (which is good) but i only got 3.8V at WOT.

so do i happen to have 2 mis functional throttle angle sensors? now my car is running crappier than ever. it will still start but barely stays running. it will die right away so i tried giving some gas and it was running super rich.

i'm still stuck, i think i might actually take my car into a shop to get it diagnosed (for the first time) damn

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so i decided to stick with the throttle body i had on there even though i wasn't getting very good readings and the next idea that came to mind is the ignition timing, so i tried adjusting my distributor a little bit and out of nowhere it started running good.....BUT

it's not going so great still.... i was able to take a test drive around the block and if i stepped on it a little too much it would still give me a nice little jerk and feel like the car skipped or something... could this mean the timing is off and it's skipping a tooth or something? i really have no idea where to go, i'm thinking about just taking it into a shop already but i don't wanna pay for diagnostics for them to tell me my timing is off

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
the 0.5volts at closed throttle is good.
you may have done what a lot of people commonly do though. when installing the tps, you have to make sure the single prong in the tps goes in the middle of the two prongs on the TB. you need to twist the tps way off center when installing it to get it to do this.
a lot of people just slap the sensor straight on, and it puts the single prong to the side of the double prongs on the TB, making for a smaller readable range, and sometimes can damage the sensor.

to verify the ignition stuff, just read and follow this thread. the need for a timing light is the most important part:
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250817

i wrote that about 3g's, but its exactly the same for 4g's.
the only difference is the location of the service connector. in a 4g, the service connector is inside the car, under the dash, to the left of the glovebox. or it may be a bit lower, behind the center console, but still to the left of the glove box somewhere

1 - 6 of 6 Posts