·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
yep

means at least one of the rod bearings is fried, and would require a lower end rebuild, or at least new rod and possibly main bearings. which isnt that hard and isnt very expensive. i'd buy it and replace the bearings

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the ad says it would be about $200. I'm assuming that's parts only. Is this something I could do in the driveway with two jackstands and a six-pack?

Also, what's the likelihood that the thing will blow up on the way home? It's about an hour to two and a half hours (depending on traffic) from El Cajon back to my place.

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
200 dollar fix? thats gotta be parts only...but I bet thats just cheap generic parts. probably a 300+ dollar fix with honda parts...

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so is this thing worth it? I don't wanna drop $650 on a car that might commit suicide on the way home, then another $300 on parts for a job I've never done before, then God knows how much money if I decide that I'm in over my head and call a professional.

Anyone else in socal wanna rescue this one?

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
it doesnt neccessarily mean that its going to come out. I was rebuilding this 350 for a nova and the rod started knocking afterwards, so i had to get under it and take the pan and crap out and it turns out one of the rod cap nuts werent torqued all the way down. All it needed was a new rod bearing and it was fixed, no damage to cylinder.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
$300? are you nuts? what would that 300 be for? all you need is an oil pan gasket and rod bearings, and main bearings if you want to do them while there.

for rod bearings, main bearings, and an oil pan gasket you'd be shelling out about $100-$120.

and yes it is something you can do in your driveway with a jack and a pair of jackstands.

i'd say offer him $500-$600 for it. if the rod knock is really bad, you might want to find someone with a truck, and rent a tow dolly and tow it home on that. i usually pay about $65 for a tow dolly for 24 hours.

i wouldnt suggest driving it that far if the knock is fairly bad, it probably wouldnt last the whole trip.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
motoxxxman said:
$300? are you nuts? what would that 300 be for? all you need is an oil pan gasket and rod bearings, and main bearings if you want to do them while there.

for rod bearings, main bearings, and an oil pan gasket you'd be shelling out about $100-$120.

and yes it is something you can do in your driveway with a jack and a pair of jackstands.

i'd say offer him $500-$600 for it. if the rod knock is really bad, you might want to find someone with a truck, and rent a tow dolly and tow it home on that. i usually pay about $65 for a tow dolly for 24 hours.

i wouldnt suggest driving it that far if the knock is fairly bad, it probably wouldnt last the whole trip.
i agree so much, all your missing is the 12 pack and can of corn bread

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
^^ ya y replace the main bearings if they dont need it ? i mean itd be a good idea to drop the crank and replace the main and the rod bearings to help prevent shit breaking again, but if its the rod bearing thats spun doesnt mean that the main bearings spun....

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
you wouldnt have to "drop" the crank.. you cant with it IN the car.. connected to the tranny anyways...

just buy it - tow it - and replace the bearings... you'll be good to go.

do it before i do :)

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
haha. yeah, i dunno how many times i've said it on this site,
YOU CAN REPLACE THE MAIN BEARINGS WITH THE CRANK STILL IN THE MOTOR. ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS REMOVE THE OIL PAN AND GIRDLE

lol, why replace the main bearings while doing the rod bearings? cuz if it spun a rod bearing, that means the oil pressure isnt where it should be, and the main bearings are probably damaged too. even if they arent, they arent brand new, they have the same number of miles on them as the rod bearings, so you might as well replace them while you're in there.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I want to replace my rod bearings, but I was told by an experienced mechanic that the crank will need to be polished, can I do this without pulling the engine to drop the crank?

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
no, you gotta remove at least the tranny to get the crank out. and no, you dont need to have the crank polished to put new rod bearings in.

as long as the crank hasnt totally thrown a bearing and scratched the journal, you can just put standard size bearings in while the motor is still in the car and call it a day

1 - 16 of 16 Posts