Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was driving back from Walmart around 11pm.
it was county parkway, where i stopped with 00 ish celica..
as soon as it turn to green, i floored it...(i do that once in a while ^^) without thinking i could win this nice newer celica..

i guess he did not expect that.. we met again on next light.
light turned green..i floored it again.. still i beat this guy.. hehe..

i think. his was auto since it was a close race (if you call auto race as race)..

someitme, i think my auto lude is fast...:turn:

i know it is auto... :wzbigcry:

·
Preludepower Member
2,656 Posts
That's what im talking about Daniel!

Nice runs. :emthup:

Dont knock your Auto. The 3rd gen Auto transmission, to me, is the ILLEST Auto ive ever seen and tried...S3, S4...I know your Lude can redline...
my next 3rd gen is def. gonna be an auto :)

b21 for life.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Auto Celicas GT or GTS both run 16's and up, so good race. It could have been closer.

·
Registered
840 Posts
heh..i bet if felt damn good didnt it and yea obviously some cars dont go to their full potential with auto trannys.
damn i hate autos ...no offense lol but good race!

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
there are 2 cars that auto trannies don't hurt performance on:

The Twin Turbo (2JZ-GTE) Toyota Supra
and the C6 Corvette LS2 (7.0 liters!)
All else need not apply.

cars with no torque and auto trannies is like putting a weight and chain on a cripple and telling him to sprint!

·
iHeart iVTEC
3,933 Posts
JLude said:
there are 2 cars that auto trannies don't hurt performance on:

The Twin Turbo (2JZ-GTE) Toyota Supra
and the C6 Corvette LS2 (7.0 liters!)
All else need not apply.

cars with no torque and auto trannies is like putting a weight and chain on a cripple and telling him to sprint!
the LS1 isnt a slouch when it comes with auto trannies. my buddy had an 02 camaro Z28...he took me for a ride...cruising at 35mph, he floors it, and the tires SMOKE. that was prolly the nicest auto tranny i've been taken for a ride in, redlines every gear.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The reason auto trannies do poorly on torqueless cars is because the manufacturers often make them 4-speeds. If they had made 5th gen autos with 5 or even 6 speeds and then geared them properly for the powerband I'm sure they would have been just as fast as the manual 5th gens, and much more consistant. But the fact is, anyone that buys an auto doesn't have performance in mind, so the manufacturers will not care how much slower it is.

On cars with torque or with proper gearing auto or manual does not make much of a difference.

·
Registered
568 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
2ZZ13BT said:
The reason auto trannies do poorly on torqueless cars is because the manufacturers often make them 4-speeds. If they had made 5th gen autos with 5 or even 6 speeds and then geared them properly for the powerband I'm sure they would have been just as fast as the manual 5th gens, and much more consistant. But the fact is, anyone that buys an auto doesn't have performance in mind, so the manufacturers will not care how much slower it is.

On cars with torque or with proper gearing auto or manual does not make much of a difference.
I think your right on there. If the SS had an extra gear it would be totally different.

·
Registered
568 Posts
nyluder22 said:
I think your right on there. If the SS had an extra gear it would be totally different.
Except I forgot that the small displacement engines with no low end torque would never be able to launch the same, so they still wouldn't be able to keep up with the manual counterparts. I doubt any factory would install a 6000 rpm stall torque converter, so they would still be slower from at least a dig.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hammy said:
ludes eat celicas
uh oh...here we go...(just joking 22zz)

this would be a great drivers race if they were both 5 speeds... the 91 Si and a 2001 GT :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
lude fever said:
uh oh...here we go...(just joking 22zz)

this would be a great drivers race if they were both 5 speeds... the 91 Si and a 2001 GT :)
We can go find out...

·
Registered
792 Posts
2ZZ13BT said:
Except I forgot that the small displacement engines with no low end torque would never be able to launch the same, so they still wouldn't be able to keep up with the manual counterparts. I doubt any factory would install a 6000 rpm stall torque converter, so they would still be slower from at least a dig.
Yeah, it wouldn't be equal to a manual but it def. beats only 4 gears.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts