Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I got this Prelude nearly two years ago and have been slowly gathering parts for an H22 swap:

I don't have many good pictures of this car... Regardless, its a JDM model with a B21A paired with an automatic LSD transmission and 4WS. Despite being an automatic its honestly not that bad with an LSD. The car has about 49k miles on it, and everything is in good shape except for the fading paint on the trim and certain body panels. The only work I've done on this car so far is replace the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, cam seals, valve cover gasket, alternator, exhaust manifold gasket, Cyl. sensor seal, re-soldered the main relay, and basic tune-up parts. The engine is very clean on the inside, but unfortunately there is a slight valve tick on the exhaust side at cylinder 1.

Right now I have an H22a with a T2T4 LSD transmission. I've never had an H22, or a VTEC engine either!

Recently I've torn down the engine to where I only have to take out the oiling pipes. Of course I don't have too many pictures of the teardown, but I'll do better on showing off the assembly.

I plan on keeping this motor naturally aspirated, and so far the parts I have for the bottom end are manley H beam rods, darton sleeves, and an ATI damper. I am waiting on the weisco forged pistons, and ARP main cap studs. I will also be deleting the balance shafts. The head is at a machine shop getting rebuilt, and will have titanium valve springs, retainers, and new keepers. Once I get the pistons and head back, I'll be taking the block to a machine shop to have the rest of the required work done.

Other parts I have are engine mounts with a traction bar and skid plate from 1funryd. I'm replacing the current midshaft with a 90-93 Accord midshaft to try and use Accord axles.

I think one of the bigger challenges with this build is the auto to manual swap. I have the correct shifter, but getting a clutch pedal assembly for a RHD car won't be easy. At this point I figure I will be making my own clutch pedal for this car which is something I've never done. (If someone has a RHD manual pedal assembly, that would be epic.)

Anyways, updates won't be frequent given the wait times for parts are long, and turnaround for machine shops is longer. I've rebuilt motors and have done an engine swap before, but nothing like this, so enjoy the show.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Nice work! I've got a JDM Si4WS that I bought 4 years ago. And yes, some of the parts for the RHD models can be tricky to get here in the States

I recommend purchasing the JDM Honda master parts book for accurate part numbers as well as the JDM service and electrical service manuals.

The wiring is set up almost entirely in reverse or completely different than the US cars.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The head? Yeah. Its back.

The block is at the machine shop right now getting sleeves installed, rotating assembly balanced, resurfaced and honed to size. It will probably be another 2 months before I post another update.

·
Premium Member
17,079 Posts
The head? Yeah. Its back.

View attachment 29445

The block is at the machine shop right now getting sleeves installed, rotating assembly balanced, resurfaced and honed to size. It will probably be another 2 months before I post another update.

What machine shop is sleeving your H22 block?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What machine shop is sleeving your H22 block?
I took it to Action Machine. I dropped it off almost 2 weeks ago. They are pretty busy right now, so the owner told me it would be 2-3 weeks before he looks at the block to see if it can be sleeved. It looks like they have worked on H22s before considering one of the machinists had his own personal 50MM crank he sold to me. The crank that came out of my motor got chewed up by the timing gear, so the dampener I'm using wouldn't be a good press fit. However It is still usable for an OEM crank pulley.

·
Premium Member
17,079 Posts
Nice. I believe I have been there, one of my friends sisters ex used to work there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today I sent an inquiry to Amayama Trading Co. for a clutch pedal and bracket. I know they wont find the part numbers I asked for but... why not?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found something interesting while I decided to scroll through the Honda Prelude 3rd Gen page. (I do not have a facebook account). I cant post the link to it, but here it is:

It looks like my car when it was in Japan. I can tell because of the paint touchup, the "Honda Auto Terrace" sticker, and obviously the rims. If anyone wants to go down that rabbit hole feel free.

Other updates. The block still at the machine shop. For the clutch pedal, I'm going to try to use one from a 97 Prelude. The reason why I'm doing this is because the US manual pedal assembly will not work on a RHD model. The bracket itself looks very similar to the one in this diagram (see #15, 20):

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The transmission is rebuilt. The paintjob is just something this guy does, but his work hasn't let me down so far.

This project is still going, its just that the engine block is still at the machine shop.

Toy Automotive tire Auto part Machine Electric blue

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the block from the machine shop yesterday. They did a nice job. I got an engine gasket set, bearings, timing belt, clutch, pressure plate and more on the way. I'm going to assemble the motor soon. But first I have to do an engine replacement on my 84 Prelude. I've procrastinated on this one a lot and Ill make another thread for that. Heres the engine block with Darton dry sleeves.

Automotive tire Gas Composite material Auto part Circle

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got the block from the machine shop yesterday. They did a nice job. I got an engine gasket set, bearings, timing belt, clutch, pressure plate and more on the way. I'm going to assemble the motor soon. But first I have to do an engine replacement on my 84 Prelude. I've procrastinated on this one a lot and Ill make another thread for that. Heres the engine block with Darton dry sleeves.

View attachment 30069
Nice, what harness and mounts r u using?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm using the mounts made by 1funryd, and a wireworx engine harness. In the future I plan on making my own harness that plugs into the strut towers, but there's a lot of other projects going on right now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So far I've completely assembled the bottom end and all the clearances are good. The head is bolted on and I got the rocker arms installed. Before I put the cams in my friend suggested using stage 2 cams since I already have the parts to support that. I ordered some Brian Crower cams from someone that allegedly has them in stock.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So far I've completely assembled the bottom end and all the clearances are good. The head is bolted on and I got the rocker arms installed. Before I put the cams in my friend suggested using stage 2 cams since I already have the parts to support that. I ordered some Brian Crower cams from someone that allegedly has them in stock.
Good shit man

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
More pics!!!
Here's where its at right now. My friend took these since I don't really stop to take pictures.

Glasses Hand tool Eyewear Tool Metalworking hand tool

Automotive tire Cookware and bakeware Gas Auto part Machine

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

The cams are coming in by the end of this week. In the meantime Ill get new gaskets put on the intake manifold and clean my garage up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts