Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been gone for awhile and I have a problem that I’ve never seen before and can’t fix, yet.
It’s a 91 alb car, the power steering system keeps using power steering fluid and I’m stumped.
I removed the cover shroud that protects the lines where they go into the steering rack to look for leaks. There is NO leaks anywhere!
none of the fittings, none of the lines, nothing coming from the P/ S pump hose or shaft seal, nothing coming from the steering rack seals.
I cleaned all the fittings with contact cleaner and no leaks. The only place I’m seeing any fluid is around the red fluid tank cap. It seems to be coming from there and nowhere else. There isn’t enough back pressure to push the red cap off but that’s the only place it’s wet with fluid. It’s leaving the top of the reseviour wet and I can’t figure out why.
Should I just replace the p/s pump or what. This p/s fluid is $5 an bottle at Wal-Mart and I can’t stand to have any leaks.

Cheers
nigel

·
Registered
222 Posts
a lil light reading for you

1st off quit buying that shit from Wal Mart!!! Soon as I went to Honda fluid, the leaking stopped. Never did find out where it went.

Rather than gambling on fluid, I just buy Genuine Honda from the dealer. Years ago I had a 89 Si that I tried some of the 'Japanese compatible' fluid in. The PS pump started leaking. Now I only use Genuine Honda fluid.

https://www.preludepower.com/threads/power-steering-fluid.347737

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1funryd, could it be just that simple? Maybe just drain the Prestone Asian engine blend brand fluid and fill with Honda brand?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
16,601 Posts
1funryd, could it be just that simple? Maybe just drain the Prestone Asian engine blend brand fluid and fill with Honda brand?

Cheers
You need to bleed your system completely and then refill with Honda fluid. But when you get fluid overflowing at the reservoir its normally due to air getting trapped in the system.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to bleed your system completely and then refill with Honda fluid. But when you get fluid overflowing at the reservoir its normally due to air getting trapped in the system.
Thanks a lot. I will do the flush and refill and go from there.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot. I will do the flush and refill and go from there.
“funryd” Thanks again for helping me out. I drained the p/s system and replaced the Prestone Asian fluid and installed Honda brand and the problem seems to be fixes without buying an p/s pump.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
16,601 Posts
“funryd” Thanks again for helping me out. I drained the p/s system and replaced the Prestone Asian fluid and installed Honda brand and the problem seems to be fixes without buying an p/s pump.

Cheers
No problem. Its one of those common issues that get overlooked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts